Railroad Forums 

• Signal Department questions

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1371999  by ZChappell

Hello everyone I am a signal maintainer with UP, but I was hoping to get some insight on the signal dept with CSX. All my and my wife's family live back east so I was considering applying for a job they have posted. My main questions are 1. Does CSX allow you to move from construction to maintaining like we do at UP by simply bidding over? 2. Does CSX have seniority zones like UP or are you up against the whole system? Any other insight into the company would also be appreciated.
 #1373650  by dover

You can bid over into maintenance, and there is different division rosters for some areas. With that being said a new contract is under negotiations and many things could change with how all this works. But the biggest thing to take into consideration is that mass hiring was done over the past 5 years or so to staff the PTC installation needs. If you hired on now being at the bottom of a roster as long as they are right now could mean being furloughed when PTC is finished. I hope this helps.