Railroad Forums 

• Siemens Venture cars in revenue service on Lincoln services

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1620121  by ExCon90

I'm wondering whether "streetcaring" has been a common practice on Western railroads. I first noticed it on the San Diegans at Oceanside in pre-Amtrak days (three a day in each direction back then), and as an Easterner I marveled at how long it took to have each passenger set down his hand luggage and fumble to get his ticket out and give it to the conductor to punch before recovering his ticket, picking up his bag, and climbing the steps. I wondered at the time whether that was standard on the Santa Fe, or was common "everywhere west."
 #1620136  by RandallW

I know in a few places it is used to prevent homeless people or other freeloaders from using the train (see post1618867.html#p1618867). If Amtrak is having crewing problems, they could be using that practice more as the reduced crew may not be able to check tickets along the entire train between two stations in close proximity.
 #1620143  by Gilbert B Norman

Homeless in LaGrange?

That's the second most affluent Cook County community within "The Land of the Burlingtons" (Western Springs think is #1).

It just seems absurd that on the most busy Sub on the BNSF had two tracks tied up (oh, and nevermind tying up traffic on LaGrange Road) for the convenience of the Amtrak crew. Nevermind the delay to 383(9) or the following METRA (identified by # in the video). The METRA could have operated at Restricted speed up to the X-ing under CCOR Rule 269 (that's the one I had when I left the MILW; "Squealer" - Chief Clerk - never knew I had it when he "checked me out").

Now I must acknowledge that under certain circumstances, "Streetcaring" was appropriate. It sure seems like farebeating was quite the pastime "back in my day" at Univ of Illinois. There was even a story of a small gymnastic girl smuggled aboard a "Student Special" (yes, the IC ran 'em; a Frat Brother once said to me "this looks like something out of Dr. Zhivago") in a large suitcase. No wonder I "saved on Suds @ Kams" just to ride the Panama in it's Parlor Car.

But in this day of prepaid on-line ticketing, where's the "material" ("5% of anything" says us CPA's) revenue loss if somehow, someway, someone skips?
 #1620180  by Arborwayfan

Mr. Norman,
I have seethed a few times waiting in a long line at Champaign-Urbana while conductors checked all tickets at the door--when the train was already late. I've been a little disappointed by it in a short line at Effingham--when the train was also already late--but at least one of those times it was about 5 am and the conductors had looked the manifest and found places for the groups and directed them to a particular car, which was actually very helpful on a train full of sleeping coach pax.
 #1620309  by sfmartinw

On long-distance trains, forcing the fare-evader to disembark at the next station should be enough of a deterrent to enable ticket checking to occur onboard. Perhaps once 110 mph speeds are authorized, the new schedule can further reduce the dwell time by onboard ticket checks.
 #1620350  by Ken W2KB

sfmartinw wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:28 pm On long-distance trains, forcing the fare-evader to disembark at the next station should be enough of a deterrent to enable ticket checking to occur onboard. Perhaps once 110 mph speeds are authorized, the new schedule can further reduce the dwell time by onboard ticket checks.
Fare evasion is a criminal theft offense in most if not all jurisdictions. If off at the next station were the only deterrent, there would be some individuals only desiring to travel to the next station who would utilize such a practice to their advantage.
 #1620355  by Gilbert B Norman

Ken W2KB wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:56 am Fare evasion is a criminal theft offense in most if not all jurisdictions. If off at the next station were the only deterrent, there would be some individuals only desiring to travel to the next station who would utilize such a practice to their advantage.
But of course, Mr. Brown, wouldn't Boys and Girls in Blue to greet these perps be a deterrent?

But with prepaid tickets sold on line, i would think fare evasion has become "less a thing" since my days back at U of Ill.
 #1620377  by STrRedWolf

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:10 am But of course, Mr. Brown, wouldn't Boys and Girls in Blue to greet these perps be a deterrent?

But with prepaid tickets sold on line, i would think fare evasion has become "less a thing" since my days back at U of Ill.
It's more the conductors saying "It's this plus the on-board $5 fee, cash only, but if you pull out your cell phone and download our app..." which I've witnessed personally on MARC with the CharmPass app.
 #1620822  by eolesen

STrRedWolf wrote:
It's more the conductors saying "It's this plus the on-board $5 fee, cash only, but if you pull out your cell phone and download our app..." which I've witnessed personally on MARC with the CharmPass app.
Same on Metra. Conductors really don't like to deal with having to be closing out cash sales at the end of the day if they can avoid it.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk