Railroad Forums 

• siding for Boston State Hospital?

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
 #1304232  by Noel Weaver

NRGeep wrote:Just wondering if there was a siding for the old mental hospital near the Fairmont line in Mattapan?
What time period are you wondering about? I can check employee timetables for any mention but it would be much easier if I knew the dates you are interested in.
Noel Weaver
 #1304273  by CarterB

Checked maps back to early 1900s for the area, when it was called the Lunatic Asylum. No evidence of any rail on those maps.
There was a trolley line on Blue Hill Ave but not to the hospital.
 #1304368  by NRGeep

How about 1920? Though Mr CarterB's research dosn't make it seem promising that there was a siding for the now long closed asylum. That would be unusual for a large hospital built before 1932. How was the coal for their power plant delivered before heavy trucks? Perhaps power came from an off site facility.
 #1304426  by Noel Weaver

NRGeep wrote:How about 1920? Though Mr CarterB's research dosn't make it seem promising that there was a siding for the now long closed asylum. That would be unusual for a large hospital built before 1932. How was the coal for their power plant delivered before heavy trucks? Perhaps power came from an off site facility.
Best I could do was a 1921 employee timetable for lines east and found no reference to anything re: Boston State Hospital.
Noel Weaver
 #1304507  by NRGeep

Noel Weaver wrote:
NRGeep wrote:How about 1920? Though Mr CarterB's research dosn't make it seem promising that there was a siding for the now long closed asylum. That would be unusual for a large hospital built before 1932. How was the coal for their power plant delivered before heavy trucks? Perhaps power came from an off site facility.
Best I could do was a 1921 employee timetable for lines east and found no reference to anything re: Boston State Hospital.
Noel Weaver
Thank you sir. It also went by the name of Matapan State Hospital for what it's worth.
 #1304653  by highwayman

As a life long resident of Forest Hills, I can say that Mattapan state hospital was never close enough to a railroad to be serviced by one. It was located on Walk hill street about halfway between Forest Hills and Mattapan.
 #1304856  by NRGeep

highwayman wrote:As a life long resident of Forest Hills, I can say that Mattapan state hospital was never close enough to a railroad to be serviced by one. It was located on Walk hill street about halfway between Forest Hills and Mattapan.
Upon further research, Mattapan State Hospital and Boston State Hospital were different hospitals. Boston State was fairly close to the Fairmount line on Morton st (rt 203). Perhaps the incoming and (rarely) outgoing patients used Morton st station. Still a mystery how coal got there in the 19th century...
 #1305032  by highwayman

Sorry, I wasn't aware of a separate mental hospital on Morton street. If that is the case, that facility could have been served by rail. In the nineteenth century, I think the Fairmont line (Midland Railroad in those days) was already built.
 #1305206  by Ridgefielder

Backshophoss wrote:This might be a streach; Was there freight (coal) delivered via the streetcar tracks?
Sure could have been. I know the New Haven did that at places in Connecticut.