Railroad Forums 

• Should union pacific be made to allow Amtrak on the Tehachapi loop?

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1554043  by Gilbert B Norman

railgeekteen wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:21 am It's kinda dumb that the San Joaquins can't reach LA, would really benefit CA's Amtrak network in many ways?
Mr. Railgeekteen, I will respect that you opened this topic in good faith, but the ATSF Bakersfield-to multiple Basin destinations "beat the pants off" the SP Daylight to LAUPT - never mind the array of other destinations.

Amtrak and Caltrans was wise to build upon the ATSF model; if you want to "ride the Loop", best keep eyes and ears open as to when there will next be a Starlight reroute and get yourself out there, because there is no way multi-frequency rail passenger service can be justified over the Loop.
 #1554048  by Backshophoss

UP(ex-SP) Mojave sub is single track CTC except for Bakersfield to Sandcut double track section and from Cable to South Mojave double track section where BNSF spins off eastward to Barstow.
At Palmdale Jct/CP Harold is the connection to the Metrolink (SCAX) Valley line to LAUS
The remaining single track CTC is refered to as prt of the UP Mojave sub,aka the Palmdale cutoff over Cajon Pass to Colton yard near San Berdoo
 #1557207  by electricron

Time for some geometry. Circumference formula = C=2πr.
Diameter = 2r.
The diameter of the Tehachapi Loop is 1210 feet per Wiki
Therefore the circumference is calculated as 3801 feet.
The length if the Loop is 3779 feet per Wiki.
Another 22 feet along the same curve and the train would have made a complete circle.

Remember the diameter was 1210 feet, the radius would be 605 feet. A quarter mile is 1320 feet. The diameter of the Loop is less than a quarter-mile, the radius is less than an eight-mile.

Per Wiki, 38 freight trains run over the loop every day. And some wonder why the UP has banned passenger trains from the Loop?

Whether or not the passenger train can go 25 mph or higher through the loop, it does not matter. Because if the freight trains on a single track line in front of the passenger train are going 25 mph, so is the passenger train following them.
Last edited by electricron on Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1557217  by ExCon90

It's been said before -- and in this forum -- but apparently not often enough: there is absolutely no point in trying to run passenger trains from LA to the Bay Area via Tehachapi. Forget it -- just sit tight until CAHSR takes care of the problem. In the meantime, the bus-train transfer at Bakersfield is just about as painless as it can be, and timewise beats anything the present all-rail alignment can accomplish.
 #1558525  by gprimr1

I've done this detour, it is slow.

This is an example of how CAHSR screwed up. They should have built something that would have been immediately valuable as a demonstration for future value. An improved route through the mountains would have made a ton of sense (as would a full 2-3 track connection between San Diego and Los Angeles.)
 #1563542  by Ken W2KB

electricron wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:42 pm Time for some geometry. Circumference formula = C=2πr.
Diameter = 2r.
The diameter of the Tehachapi Loop is 1210 feet per Wiki
Therefore the circumference is calculated as 3801 feet.
The length if the Loop is 3779 feet per Wiki.
Another 22 feet along the same curve and the train would have made a complete circle.

Remember the diameter was 1210 feet, the radius would be 605 feet. A quarter mile is 1320 feet. The diameter of the Loop is less than a quarter-mile, the radius is less than an eight-mile.

Per Wiki, 38 freight trains run over the loop every day. And some wonder why the UP has banned passenger trains from the Loop?

Whether or not the passenger train can go 25 mph or higher through the loop, it does not matter. Because if the freight trains on a single track line in front of the passenger train are going 25 mph, so is the passenger train following them.
Makes absolute sense; the freights crawl along. My video of a train on the loop about 10 years ago: https://youtu.be/w38QVqC21AI
 #1563575  by bdawe

Philly Amtrak Fan wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:40 pm Why not just run more trains along the Coast Starlight route?
Because the Coast Line is, while not especially busy, much more lightly populated than the San Joquin Valley. That said, another Coast frequency is in the late corridor scheme
 #1563619  by ExCon90

bdawe wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:13 am
Philly Amtrak Fan wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:40 pm Why not just run more trains along the Coast Starlight route?Jus
Because the Coast Line is, while not especially busy, much more lightly populated than the San Joquin Valley. That said, another Coast frequency is in the late corridor scheme
And the bulk of the population on the SJV route is Bakersfield and north. Amtrak might do better to increase the frequency between Bakersfield and Oakland/Sacramento and promote the bus connection for LA passengers. Just forget Tehachapi and leave it to the freight trains.
 #1563621  by Philly Amtrak Fan

ExCon90 wrote:
bdawe wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:13 am
Philly Amtrak Fan wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:40 pm Why not just run more trains along the Coast Starlight route?Jus
And the bulk of the population on the SJV route is Bakersfield and north. Amtrak might do better to increase the frequency between Bakersfield and Oakland/Sacramento and promote the bus connection for LA passengers. Just forget Tehachapi and leave it to the freight trains.
But why should I have to transfer to a bus as opposed to just staying on a train the whole way? If Amtrak can't run on the Tehachapi, then the Coast Starlight is the better option assuming the timing is right. If they had an overnight Coast Starlight like the old Spirit of California I would take it. Last time I was in California I took a bus from San Jose to Santa Barbara and then a Pacific Surfliner into the LA area (Irvine). I don't want to lose my entire day on the train.
 #1563703  by ExCon90

The only practical route for a through train is the Coast Line, and bdawe states above that a second train is in the works. The difficulty is that the only practical route has much less intermediate on-line business than the San Joaquin, which is a dud south of Bakersfield. Trying to run a through train via Tehachapi means competing for track capacity with two transcontinental railroads in order to follow long freight trains around three sides of a square while a bus can zip right along on the fourth side. Admittedly that means going uphill and down on the fourth side, where the freeway is, but a bus can do that. A through train via Tehachapi would empty out at Bakersfield to make the bus connection, with mostly railfans left on board the train.