Railroad Forums 

• shortlines & length of service

• A general discussion about shortlines, industrials, and military railroads
A general discussion about shortlines, industrials, and military railroads

Moderator: Aa3rt

#976440  by callmove

trying to find out when a shortline takes over from a major class 1 railroad, most shortlines operate this line for a number of years and are all about trying to increase business. anyone have length of time most shortlines stay in business?
callmove
 #992334  by kevin.brackney

I don't know of any entity that might be compiling that information. Some shortline operations took over from Class 1's two decades or more ago. I think you'll have a hard time coming up with an average. There are just too many variables; wich is probably why you haven't received any posts until now. Why did you want to know, anyway?
 #992364  by umtrr-author

In addition, it seems to me that the operational (if not the technical) definition of "short line" may have changed over time as well.

The American Short Line and Regional Railroad Association might be a potential source for some information:

http://www.aslrra.org

But I think a definitive answer will require a non-trivial amount of research. Some shortlines are "original"-- meaning built as shortlines, not spun out of larger railroads-- and have been (or were) around for decades.
 #992472  by kevin.brackney

And yet another category to explore: Shortlines that existed for several years as the result of Class 1 spin-off and then aqquired additional trackage from another Class 1 spin-off; i.e., when the DGNO aqquired ex SSW and MKT trackage on the north side of Dallas, TX (Carrollton) or when the IORY aqquired the Midland Sub from CSX (B&O).