Railroad Forums 

• Shea Yard Test Site- Dual Mode/BiLevel Trainset et al

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1527813  by ConstanceR46

The Creedmore lead was used as a freight spur up until the 1980s, and was extant until 1999-ish. In 1980, there were a few customers - one seemed to get lumber, and another got covered hoppers of something. NETR Historic Aerials is really a mind-numbingly awesome resource if one seeks to search out old railways. The path is clearly marked by area's lot lines.
 #1528162  by krispy

Nice map! Shows the old Corona Meadows Yard probably at it's largest extant, and I didn't know about that World's Fair siding (Railroads on Parade) that led off towards what's now Hall of Science. That map proceeds the '64 and if I may suggest, Google for 1964 World's Fair map and look for the 'official' map. Normally, I'd just lift it and c&p it here, but don't want to run afoul of our hosts or copyright issues. If you see that, in the upper portion you can see what is now Mets Willets Point station, the subway yard, and to the side of that Corona Yard, and then the old Central RR siding on the margin.

On the map you presented, Shea/MWP station is where the old UN station was (#14), with the yard immediately south of No 2 Port Wash, extending into a lead that went to the siding adjacent to MP 7 on that map. If you use Google Map in satellite mode, you can discern the Corona yard switch disconnected and going off into the weeds just before the edge of the psgr platform for MWP station, and then the other siding mentioned east of the Creek.