Railroad Forums 

• Shawmut to Macedon, Naples, Lima

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#918612  by s4ny

I had once read that the Pittsburg, Shawmut and Northern Railroad Co was planning to continue its line north from Wayland to connect with
other railroads to expand its coal business. I found this Official Railway Guide from 1907 on Google books and for the first time see a map that
actually shows the PS&N being extended to connect with the Lehigh Valley in Naples and south of Lima and the New York Central at Macedon.

http://books.google.com/books?id=En-yeP ... &q&f=false

I suspect that the line would have followed the best available grade east of and parallel to NY 15 out of Wayland, east of Springwater, then between Canadice and Honeoye lakes. North of US 20A, the topography to a connection with the Lehigh Valley near Lima and the NY Central at Macedon is fairly mild.

Of course, the Shawmut was already in receivership, but the management of the early 1900s was optimistic.

Scroll through the pages of the guide, it is fascinating.
 #919096  by FarmallBob

Of course, the Shawmut was already in receivership, but the management of the early 1900s was optimistic.
Management "was optimisic" indeed! The PS&N went into receivership in 1905. It then operated under bankruptcy protection for 40+ years before it was finally shut down and abandoned.

----

Interesting stuff - thanks for posting!
 #919335  by s4ny

Maybe they were showing those connections in the hope that the Lehigh Valley or New York Central would see the possibilities and acquire them. Probably would not have been an expensive acquisition. Just pay off the debt.

The book was published in the fall of 1906, before the Panic of 1907.

Sometimes when I drive on 1-390 up the hill south of Dansville, I slow down and notice the PS&N roadbed cutting across the hill to the right and then parallel to the highway on the left side close to Perkinsviile. The bridge foundations are still in place at the bottom of Stony Brook State Park.
 #919366  by lvrr325

Would have been a good way for the LV to add business to a couple of light-density branches, but I don't think it would have lasted much longer that way than it actually did.
 #920065  by FarmallBob

s4ny wrote:The bridge foundations are still in place at the bottom of Stony Brook State Park.
\

There are foundation piers evident for both the original bridge (built in 1883) and its replacement (1907). They are visible not only at the bottom of the gorge but also climbing both gorge walls.

At the top of the gorge the abutments still exist, at least on the west side. The original abutment is cut stone and is now somewhat hidden by woods. The replacement however is concrete and out in the open.

Incidentally for a short time both bridges existed side by side as in this image: http://www.wnyrails.org/images/psn_dansville.jpg
 #920163  by Flat-Wheeler

Macedon ? I lived near Wayneport Jct and the Mobil Chemical spur into Macedon for several years. I also had a cottage on the lake nearby the LV line between Naples and Middlesex for about 5 yrs. Aside from a connection to NYC, why do you suppose the PSN would choose Macedon ? Was it really a better alternative to connect to NYC (East-West) than to connect at Newark where the PRR had their (North-South) coal line up to Sodus Bay ?

I find this topic fascinating if not down right odd ! Anybody ???
 #920211  by Matt Langworthy

Flat-Wheeler wrote:Macedon ? I lived near Wayneport Jct and the Mobil Chemical spur into Macedon for several years. I also had a cottage on the lake nearby the LV line between Naples and Middlesex for about 5 yrs. Aside from a connection to NYC, why do you suppose the PSN would choose Macedon ? Was it really a better alternative to connect to NYC (East-West) than to connect at Newark where the PRR had their (North-South) coal line up to Sodus Bay ?

I find this topic fascinating if not down right odd ! Anybody ???
Topography may have dictated the choice of Macedon over Newark. Also, I'm not sure that a connection to the PRR in Newark would have helped the PS&N much, as the Pennsy was already hauling coal to Newark from mines on its own lines in Pennsylvania. The PS&N planners probably figured PRR wouldn't short haul itself. Connections to the LV and/or NYC would have been better choices.
 #920280  by JT76

Terminating the railroad in Macedon would certainly live up to its "unofficial slogan" - starts no where, goes no place with a lot of nothing in between.
 #920353  by s4ny

The Shawmut already had a connection at Wayland with the Lackawanna. The Pennsy was a competitor. The Lackawanna and NY Central were part of the same ownership group. The Shawmut probably recognized a good opportunity to supply coal to New England via the connection with the Central.

Likewise, the Erie was a competitor. Otherwise the Shawmut could have saved many miles by using a connection with the Erie.
 #928872  by Lehighton_Man

TB Diamond wrote:Right across from the Wayland DL&W station.
Forgive me, but I seem to be unable to locate a ROW? Unless modern development has completely erased any large noticable portions of the ROW.

Plus, I'll have to do a bit of searching about, and mapping to see how the PS&N would've made a connection in Naples. If I can recall, the topography south of Naples isn't the best, definitely would require at least a few fills, probably a lot of cuts, if not a tunnel or two. But, I live one town north of Naples, so an idea like this really grabs my interest.
Thanks for sharing!
 #929205  by Matt Langworthy

Lehighton_Man wrote:
TB Diamond wrote:Right across from the Wayland DL&W station.
Forgive me, but I seem to be unable to locate a ROW? Unless modern development has completely erased any large noticable portions of the ROW.
Go to http://www.mapsonus.com/mapsonus/ and put in Wayland, NY. Using either the satellite or bird's eye view, zero in on Route 15 near the terminus of the existing DL&W tracks and you'll see the old PS&N ROW heading SW towards Hornell. For a more general view, check out: http://www.wnyrails.org/railroads/psn/psn_home.htm