Railroad Forums 

• Sharing photographs on Wikipedia

• Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.
Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.

Moderators: nomis, keeper1616

#640377  by mattl

I hope this is the right place for this.

I'm starting to take photos of the MBTA in Boston for Wikipedia. I'd like to encourage anyone else who is taking pictures of trains and subway systems to do the same... by putting them on Wikipedia, you help to preserve them for future generations, people from other cultures and help educate people about the history of railways and subway systems.

I would be happy to help anyone upload their images to Wikipedia, if they give permission.

In order to ensure Wikipedia can reproduce your images, they ask that you either dedicated them to the public domain, or license them in such a way that they can be used with Wikipedia's licensed content. If you're using Flickr, this is really easy.. http://www.flickr.com/account/prefs/license/ and select either the 'Attribution' or 'Attribution-ShareAlike' license...

I'm also happy to field questions on doing this licensing for non-Flickr users.
 #715911  by Finch

How does one actually put photos on Wikipedia? Is there some database where we can upload large numbers of MBTA photos besides the MBTA article itself? It seems elementary but I guess I'm not very wiki-literate.
 #716350  by RailBus63

I do not post my photographs to Wikipedia because their insistence on the use of a Creative Commons license would allow anyone to use my images for any purpose. I'm not naïve – I know people routinely download images all the time and that many younger folks have no respect for the rights of the original photographer – but I do prefer to maintain some semblance of my original copyright protections in the event someone uses one of my images in a way that I have serious concerns about.

Jim D.