Railroad Forums 

• Shared Assets Lehigh Line

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1074909  by gravelyfan

waldwickrailfan wrote:When should it return going west?
1073 was the trailing unit on 65J that departed very early this morning (8/22) from CP Stock. Train was through Middlesex, NJ on the Lehigh Line just after 3am. Saw elsewhere a report that the train was in the Reading PA area as of 7:30 am.
 #1079401  by SecaucusJunction

I don't generally read too much into these articles, but in the latest Trains Magazine, in the Conrail article, they mentioned that CSX was planning on bringing unit rock trains into North Jersey. Was there any truth to this? I don't even know where it would go.
 #1079494  by wolfboy8171981

SecaucusJunction wrote:I don't generally read too much into these articles, but in the latest Trains Magazine, in the Conrail article, they mentioned that CSX was planning on bringing unit rock trains into North Jersey. Was there any truth to this? I don't even know where it would go.
I haven't read the article yet. Perhaps the CSX will get unit trains from the former 3M plant (Gibrater) and run them North onto CR and thru to the North?
 #1132224  by Ken S.

WB CSX manifest at Union Station around 2PM. Power was 4827, 292, 6913, and 2313. I took a video, but have no idea what the symbol is.
 #1149031  by davebdawg

Question about wayside signal numbering, as when I see pictures of the Lehigh line between Front street and Clinton ave. http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 248&nseq=6
there's number boards on them 26 2W and I know it's milepost 26 track 2 west.
But when I railfan at Potter they don't have anything on the signal posts at all.
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=1793009
Whats the difference between the 2?
 #1149045  by charlie6017

Signals that don't have number boards (track numbers, MP numbers) are generally "home signals" for interlockings
and the like. CP Potter, of course, is an interlocking and why it's like that.

Charlie
 #1161953  by bbobes327

Is the industrial track to what used to be LA Dreyfuss in south plainfield still in use? Driving over the crossing on Front street the track looks severely rusted and ive never personally seen a train on it.
 #1162166  by kilroy

I've seen a few cars parked on it along side Halls within the past year. I don't know why they were there.
 #1321686  by markyk

Back on Sunday March 1st,

NS train 23M was flagged for High Cars in the early morning. Train waited at the Rahway Ave crossing for someone to come out. Crew ended up out-lawing, and being replaced. The 2 5 packs of stacks were set out on the 1800 foot siding between Clark and Cranford.

More than 2 weeks later and the stacks are still there........

Hope none of the 20 possible customers are looking for their product....

Meanwhile, traffic on this line has seen some small but steady growth, in size of trains and frequency....
 #1321744  by wolfboy8171981

markyk wrote:Back on Sunday March 1st,

NS train 23M was flagged for High Cars in the early morning. Train waited at the Rahway Ave crossing for someone to come out. Crew ended up out-lawing, and being replaced. The 2 5 packs of stacks were set out on the 1800 foot siding between Clark and Cranford.

More than 2 weeks later and the stacks are still there........

Hope none of the 20 possible customers are looking for their product....

Meanwhile, traffic on this line has seen some small but steady growth, in size of trains and frequency....
Its a test to make sure law enforcement got all the Conrail Boyz............
 #1321786  by BigDell

I've seen them out there, I didn't realize it's the same set of cars, it's been a while. Wonder how they'll be rerouted??

>>>>Meanwhile, traffic on this line has seen some small but steady growth, in size of trains and frequency....

Yes! It's definitely hopping. Overnights too. I love that the traffic is increasing. I notice when the weather is bad they do tend to hit the horn more, even though the area has quiet crossings.
I was putting my toddler to bed the other night and I heard the horn off in the distance (we're not too far from where the mainline crosses Inman Ave), I was very pleasantly surprised when he suddenly looked up at me, smiled and said "choo choo!"... He's a train fan already, raising him right.
 #1321790  by ccutler

Yes traffic seems to be improving.

In terms of local activity, it also is starting to look up. I rode my bike over the bridge over Manville Yard today. It's fuller than I've seen it in years. Plenty of steel loads...and what I don't recognize are the covered hoppers usually used for grain or salt--probably 8 or more in the yard. Those cars are not the ones used to carry plastic pellets, there were plenty of them as well.

I used to be able to see what was in the yard and have a good idea which customers the cars were for. Now its very hard for me to tell.
 #1321805  by markyk

stacks still here as of today (16 days and counting)

I can see them from my living room, and I guess by rule trains need to blow their horn when passing them

love the fact that double track is back between Potter and Bound Brook

Just had 33k and either 11j or 15j go west together on both tracks........