Railroad Forums 

• Shared Assets Lehigh Line

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#830454  by davebdawg

Walt, Nice pics, as I was there a week ago and was wondering the same thing about those DIB signs, was looking them up in the rules but still confused on their meaning.
Can you please explian a little further?
 #830493  by Jtgshu

504. Delay in a Block
The following restrictions do not apply to trains that have cab signals in service for the direction of movement, or that have experienced a cab signal failure in Rule 562 territory (cab signals without fixed automatic block signals).

a. Trains Making Stops Other Than Station Stops

If a train that has passed a block signal stops for any reason other than a passenger train making a station stop, it must proceed at Restricted Speed. The train may resume the speed authorized by the last signal received when:
1. The next signal is seen to display a proceed indication,
AND
2. The track is known to be clear to the next signal.

b. Push-Pull Trains Making Station Stops or Slow Movement After Passing Distant Signal

If a push-pull train that has passed a distant signal makes a station stop or reduces speed to less than 10 MPH, it must:
1. Approach the home signal prepared to stop,
AND
2. Not exceed 40 MPH, unless governed by a slower speed.
The train may resume the speed authorized by the distant signal when the home signal is seen to display a proceed indication.
If a push-pull train makes a stop other than a station stop in any block, it will be governed by paragraph “a” of this rule.
thats the rule, and it is written a confusing the way it is written. But basically its a reminder to the engineer, that he has already passed the distant signal, which is the automatic signal BEFORE a home signal, made his station stop which is inbetween the distant signal and the home signal, and the next signal he comes upon will be the home signal.

This rule came from the MARC/Amtrak crash in 1996 when the engineer of the MARC train forgot that he was running under and approach, and that the next singal was a stop signal. Made the station stop, throttled out, and because the home signal wasn't visible as it was around a curve, he didn't see it and forgot that he was running under an approach. Came around the curve, it was too late to stop and plowed into the side of the Amtrak train that was crossing over.

DIB only applies where there are no cab signals in service, OR the cab signals on a train are cut out because of a failure. At Roselle Park, even though CP Aldene's home signals are pretty much visibile from RP platform, on a foggy day/rainy day, etc they might not be. If CP Aldenes home signal wasn't visible to the engineer, he would not be allowed to go faster than 40mph, but if he was running under an approach shouldn't go faster than 30, but if he forgot that he was under an approach, well then the DIB rule would prevent him from going faster than 40 (in theory of course), but the important part is PREPARED TO STOP AT THE HOME SIGNAL.

A better example would be Elizabeth station going west. The automatic is east of the station, its the station and then Elmora's home signal, which is after a bend and can be hard to see. If an engineer had his cab signals cut out because of a failure, and had a Approach Limited on the distant (or even a clear if he was going straight down 4 track for whatever reason), made his station stop at Eliz, and then got two to go, because the DIB would take over, he shouldn't go faster than 40 on the approach to Elmora, even though the last signal (Approach Limited - approach the next signal at limited speed - 45mph, or a clear, max speed) until he could clearly see the home signal at Elmora, but again BE PREPARED TO STOP AT THE HOME SIGNAL until he could see the signal clearly.

It doesn't matter what the signal you were running on is, it could be a clear, if something happend at the interlocking, you would have no way of knowing, because you don't have cab signals. the dispatcher could have dropped the signal, there could have been a stop signal violation by another train, there could have been a derailment, anything. Its because you made that station stop (or any other stop) in that last block that has taken extra time, and maybe the disp forgot about you or whatever, where DIB comes into play.

Its not a perfect rule, there are a lot of holes in it, but most importantly its a reminder to the engineer that the next signal is a home signal and be prepared to stop until the signal displayed is CLEARLY visible.
 #835173  by davebdawg

Thanks for the great explanation of the DIB rule, learned something new today!! Was out @ Oak Ridge park in Clark Saturday afternoon and caught 3 old CP rail engines heading west pullung hopper cars loaded with what looked like old rock and gravel, old row fill I suppose?
Anyhoo gotz another question, was there ever a station @ Potter to the west of Inman ave.? Maybe a small passenger and freight depot, as I know there was good sized passenger station @ OakTree a long time ago. :wink:
 #843771  by ccutler

Saw two locals depart Manville yard eastbound today around 11:15am.
One local ran east on the Lehigh shared assets line with 3 steel loads.
The other local ran east on the Port Reading with 8 5250 cf covered hoppers for Dow's facility in Piscataway, 4 acid tank cars, and one other covered hopper. I caught up with it [on my bike] switching the Dow facility, which looks to me to be just an inventorying and distribution location now. If anyone knows the scope of what Dow does there now, please let me know.

The Bridgewater transfer facility was busy loading containers. What do they process there? I think they just handle construction debris there, not household garbage. If someone knows otherwise, please let me know.

Also saw 8 railfans waiting for trains at Bound Brook station, model citizens with ample photography equipment, not trespassing and just giving us a good reputation.
 #845111  by Mike77E9

ccutler wrote:If anyone knows the scope of what Dow does there now, please let me know.
There's really not a whole lot going on at the Dow facility anymore. Currently, there is only one process left, i believe it's a type of plastic they're manufacturing. However, the site is up for sale, and Dow will be moving out soon. From the information I have, they'll be there for 3 more years at the most.

There is a calcium chloride plant on the site as well called Cal Chlor, they get fairly regular rail service.

There was also a supermarket looking to put their meat packing facility there, and wanting to receive bulk meats by rail. I'm not sure of the status of this.
 #848018  by MNR's #1 Conductor

OCtrainguy wrote:Looking for some snow photos this morning, I headed up to South Plainfield this morning with a friend of mine. We spent about four hours there from about 7:30 to 11:30. Saw seven trains in that timeframe, but none in the last hour. All trains were NS, didn't see any CSX trains. Here's a recap:

7:40 EB NS 24Z 8-40CW & D9-40C
8:15 EB NS 18N D9-40CW & NREX SD45-2T
8:35 EB NS 214 BNSF D9-44CW & D9-40CW
8:57 EB NS 20K PRR SD60I & 2629 (primer SD70M)
9:25 WB NS 11J 2 D9-40CWs
10:00 EB NS 212 7115, 1615 & high hood SD40-2
10:38 WB NS 213 D9-40C & PRR 6764

Overall it was a good morning. Seven trains and they were all NS. I was hoping to see some CSX trains as last week, as their trains had a good mix of engines including SD60M, SD70MAC and SD70ACE units.

Most of the CSX manifests come thru middle to late day, especially CSX Q300, Greenwich Yard, Philadelphia PA to Oak Island, Q409, Selkirk Yard, Albany NY to Rice Yard, Waycross GA, Q439, Selkirk to Hamlet, NC, Q410, the northbound counterpart of Q409, Q438, the northbound counterpart of Q439 (Q438 and Q410 might be hauling Metro-North Railroad M-8 EMUs up from Baltimore, so be on the lookout for that!!), Q417, Selkirk to Pavonia Yard, Camden NJ and its northbound counterpart Q418. Also a good CSX stacker is Q-190/191, both between Philadelphia and Kearny. With the summer season and later sunset, you might even see the southbound counterpart of Q300, which is Q301. Also be ready for CSX Q740/741, also known as the Tropicana Juice Train, though from what I see those are known to come in darkness.
 #861345  by davebdawg

Was out @ Potter today around 5:30 ish and was waiting for a westbounder to make it over from Clark so I decided to huff it over to Tingley Lane and as soon as I turned my back I got blasted with a sure as heck sounded like train horn, and since the nearest train was still in Clark it scared the crappola outta me!!! Now on the way from Inman I spotted a Chevy Suburban parked in back of the CVS close to the tracks and after the trainhorn went off I scouted back to the the CVS and the suburban was gone, and then after about 4 minutes I heard the horn @ Inman I heard the same blast @ Tingley Lane, but i did'nt get to see the vehicle again.
Any ideas on who this undercover train horn blaster is? As I would like to shake his hand and say thanks for showing all those anti Horners what for!!! :-D :-D
 #861758  by CAR_FLOATER

Anyone catch the local departing westbound thru South Plainfield just before 6PM last night (10/18)? I caught it at New Bruswick Ave with a CR Geep and 19 boxcars, but one boxcar had either a rather interesting paintjob, that or one HELL of a grafitti job with large blue letters the height and length of the car. Anyone else see it?

CF
 #1032001  by davebdawg

Waht's happening at south Plainfield as it looks like the beefed up security at the lot across from sherbans, they added an extra barrier and more signs. Will they be installing a toll gate as well to charge admission to railfan there??
I know times are tough but this is a bit over the top just to park there once in a while!!
 #1034726  by davebdawg

Why is the Potter grade crossing closed for vehicle traffic as I just noticed the sign out in front for detours???
 #1034759  by wolfboy8171981

davebdawg wrote:Why is the Potter grade crossing closed for vehicle traffic as I just noticed the sign out in front for detours???
It sounds like the crossing has settled a bit. so they have to open the crossing up and raise it up. They will do Prospect Ave next week (4-15).