Railroad Forums 

• *** SHARE YOUR MODEL RAILROAD ACTION PHOTOS

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#862167  by Otto Vondrak

green_elite_cab wrote:
Ken S. wrote:Unfortunately, I can't post pics of my trains on the carpet, otherwise I'd post a pic of a Darth Vader figure next to a Bachmann E60 that somehow split a switch. :-D
Wait, who says you can't?
Probably I did.
don't worry about the crazy perfectionist people here.
I wouldn't worry about those crazy perfectionist people either, since they don't post here. Not perfect enough for them.
I once had people tell me i couldn't post pictures because my layout had "bare plywood" on it. What did you want? i was only JUST building the layout in the first place! There are a lot of "elitists" in the hobby world, but you just have to ignore them.
Sorry if your photos did not match what we were asking for in this thread. Keep working on your layout and show off your skills as you complete sections you are proud of!
If people don't like darth vader and carpet with their trains, they can ignore it and move on.
Actually the point of this thread is to showcase models in a finished environment. For this thread, we're not interested in roster shots of newly acquired toys, or trains on the carpet, or on bare plywood... We love to see models in-progress and layouts in-progress, and we really love to see completed models and completed (or, as near-to-complete as you dare) layouts and scenes. Show us your best work! Start another thread if you want to post photos of other projects you are working on... :-)

-otto-
 #862209  by green_elite_cab

Otto Vondrak wrote: [quote="green_elite_cab]I once had people tell me i couldn't post pictures because my layout had "bare plywood" on it. What did you want? i was only JUST building the layout in the first place! There are a lot of "elitists" in the hobby world, but you just have to ignore them.
Sorry if your photos did not match what we were asking for in this thread. Keep working on your layout and show off your skills as you complete sections you are proud of!

[/quote][/quote]

That was on another forum. I don't think i've gotten any complaints here, even on this thread, for bare plywood (and i'm sure its around). Its probably because the majority of the scenes are complete (and i'm to cheap to by fascia for the sides of my layout).

I recognize the purpose of this thread, and i later realized that. However, given the last few pages, where there is few "environmnet" around the trains, i don't think it should be super strict.

toys? yeah, they can stay out, but hey, not everyone has something to work with.
 #862328  by 3rdrail

That must be great on a nice day to sit out there with a drink and watch the trains go by. The more you have, the more realistic they get ! Before long, you think that your looking at the D&RGW skirting the Animas River on a mountain ledge ! Nice work, Cosmo !
 #862330  by Cosmo

3rdrail wrote:That must be great on a nice day to sit out there with a drink and watch the trains go by. The more you have, the more realistic they get ! Before long, you think that your looking at the D&RGW skirting the Animas River on a mountain ledge ! Nice work, Cosmo !
Hee-hee, except that it's supposed to be the MAINE CENTRAL running through Crawford Notch! But I get what you're saying. :wink:
Thanks Paul! Anytime you wanna come down to CT and have a gander at it in person let me know. :-D

(Actually, I almost had to flip a coin to choose between D&RGW or MEC! MEC won, of course.)
 #862337  by 3rdrail

No, my bad. Was just using the D&RGW thing as I knew more references to it - Animas, etc. Yours looks like MC. I'll take you up on the offer one of these days. I'm going stir crazy. I'd join a club but I wouldn't want to belong to a club that would have me as a member ! yuckyuckyuck!!! (-Groucho)
 #868314  by B&M 1227

A pair of WRS GP15-1s run back to Lebanon Yard with a cut of cars picked up from NECR at White River Junction. The freight house is a scratchbuilt model of the one in West Chelmsford MA.
Attachments:
WRSlolz2.jpg
WRSlolz2.jpg (46.9 KiB) Viewed 5765 times
 #868326  by 3rdrail

Wouldn't want to see this exposure for most train shots, but that's a very effective "winter blizzard" effect. Looks ominous. I'd be tempted to write a little script along with it. For this effect, the b&w and exposure is fine.It needs a few more touches, perhaps- shovels, snow plow at the ready. I'd throw in a few background items. You can almost get away with not having too much background as a swirling nor'easter would eliminate anything seen back there. Try a fuzzy row of snowy trees maybe ? Everything muted. Nice work with the clingy, wet snow. Anyway, I enjoyed the shot a great deal and you gave me some ideas for a future shoot. Thanks !
 #868646  by Otto Vondrak

Really nice blizzard effect, and I like how the locomotive lights are the appropriate brightness, too. Very nice, we need to see more, please!!

You might want to try this for an easy backdrop to represent muted, distant hillsides... try some torn dark contruction paper, brown or black or dark green, or dark blue...

Otto
 #868674  by 3rdrail

B&M1227. Please know that these suggestions aren't critical of your work. To the contrary, I think that it's outstanding. It's the most original and different than anything that I've seen come from the model world. I like also the way that the front end of the locomotive is illuminated- but that the lighting quickly diminishes. If you were taking a shot of a real loco in blizzard conditions with a strong strobe, you would get exactly the same result as the snow refracts the light in all different directions, causing it to not focus as it would on a clear night. The dark sky is perfect- in it, the snow in the foreground is lit with the background dark. Perfect ! Please burn off a roll ( or pixels, whichever you prefer) with different techniques attempted. (You could have a blast with this project in your own b&w dark room with exposures, etc.) You could probably come up with an award winning photo ! :-D :-D