Railroad Forums 

• *** SHARE YOUR MODEL RAILROAD ACTION PHOTOS

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#830823  by Rick Abramson

The E44s look neat. Is the CR unit an E44a?
The "yellow" Jet never left Erie, it was the 372. There was a paint-off at Erie in 1955 between 370 in the standard scheme for the Jets and 372. Pat and Lucille McGinnis, Herbert Matter who designed the black/white/red "NH" scheme and Florence Knoll, head of Knoll and Associates went to Erie to view both schemes. 370 won the contest. 372 was repainted.
 #831186  by green_elite_cab

Rick Abramson wrote:The E44s look neat. Is the CR unit an E44a?
Yup, all three are E44As various patches of Conrail, though the jury is out on the 4465, which is way in the back

I originally thought that E44A denoted the silicon rectifier (as opposed to the old Ignitron tubes), but I saw a recent discussion saying the actual difference is the motors in the trucks themselves. Apparently, when the PRR sent 4438-4459 back to GE, they didn't only swap out the ignitron tubes for silicon rectifiers, but also replaced the motors with a more powerful type, giving those units 5,000 horsepower. while 4460-4465 have the same E44A body, they have the old motors, and there for still only have 4,400 HP. because of the horsepower difference, 4438-4459 are considered E44As, while 4460-4465 are technically still E44s.
The "yellow" Jet never left Erie, it was the 372. There was a paint-off at Erie in 1955 between 370 in the standard scheme for the Jets and 372. Pat and Lucille McGinnis, Herbert Matter who designed the black/white/red "NH" scheme and Florence Knoll, head of Knoll and Associates went to Erie to view both schemes. 370 won the contest. 372 was repainted.
I have a book published by NJ International on the EP5, "Classic Power No.9 : New Haven EP-5 Jets", and on page 31 the canary yellow EP5 appears to have a New Haven style catenary bridge behind it. I could be wrong (the book doesn't say). I remember hearing a story that McGinnis's wife was wearing the same colors as the Red White Black EP5, and so that was the color chosen.
The tram man wrote:Yellow EP5? I must have miseed something. Got any pic of it?
Apparently, the other problem was that yellow collected dirt more noticeably. that's fine, the yellow-white-black one is strange looking anyway. in fact, when i first saw it, i thought there was something wrong with the photograph. I don't have a picture, but I'm sure one is out there.
 #831575  by green_elite_cab

Rick Abramson wrote:That shot you are referring to of 372 in the Classic Power book is definitely at Erie on the GE test track. They used several of my photos in that book including the operating manual.

Rick

Oh yeah, you're right, i just noticed it was sitting on the multi-gauge track. I don't think New Haven had any of that, :P

Thats cool on the book contents, though i have to ask, what happened to pages 16-18 on the EP5 Operating manual? i noticed in the book that these pages are not present.

I didn't connect that you were the same Abramson (though i suppose that makes perfect sense in hindsight). I'm curious, on page 48 of the Classic Power book, you have a photo of PC 4977 with a pair of E44s in Newark, NJ. was that a power move or where they in a consist to run in a train? Did they tend to run the EP5s by themselves in later years or could they be MUed with the other Rectifiers? I've seen a photo of that same unit lashed up with 2 GG1s on its short life on Conrail (that photo is on page 76 of "Conrail: Volume 1 1976-1982), and i thought about making a model of 4977.
 #842546  by Rick Abramson

The Jets never had MU capability on the NH or PC. The Jet in the photo was being moved by the E44s. The Jets were used on some freights out of Morrisville. They were never intended for freight service.
Shortly after delivery to the NH, the PRR borrowed one and tried it between NY and DC. Needless to say it didn't work! The PRR deemed the Jet no good. For starters, the Jets were designed for a 150 mile round trip, not a 225 mile one way!
The engines overheated. Can't even imagine how the PRR thought this would work. Perhaps they should have tried it with a B-1 Rat Motor. LOL
Last edited by Rick Abramson on Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #842901  by green_elite_cab

Does that belong there? :-D Still, new models are always the best, so crisp and clean, and unmarred.

Unlike this battered U-boat. True, Its not actually dirty or damaged, but i suppose sometimes, just sometimes, you kinda miss having a nice clean model after you do the works on it.

(that said, i'm still proud of this paint job)