Railroad Forums 

• Shamokin and Mt. Carmel nee Buffalo, NY Car used as shed

• This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.
This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.

Moderator: Nicolai3985

#46093  by EugeneV.Debs

Yesterday I visited Knoebels Park in Ellysburg,PA. Ellysburg is relatively close to Shamokin, Shenandoah and Mahoney City. For all of you who don't know Knoebels, it is a rather large amusement park that has been around for about 80 years or more. Yesterday I was watching a guy demonstrating chainsaw sculpture at the "Lost Logger", which is near the Haunted House, and noticed something strange, the chainsaw artist's tool shed, which was partially obscured, looked like a trolley. So I walked up to the shed and found to my disbelief that it was a trolley, a turn of the century, most-likely a J.G. Brill, semi-convertible trolley. I didn't have a camera so I remembered the details, 9 passenger windows, a destination sign window above the center head-light, etc., etc. Then I went to the Knoebel's museum and asked if anyone knew where the trolley was from and the reply I got was that they bought a trolley during the late thirties as a cottage and that there was a picture of it in the museum. The picture showed a car with the number 33 and the name "Toonerville". So I decided to post a question to this forum, but before hand I decided to see if I could find a picture of a similar car as I didn't think to buy a disposable camera to take a picture and instead I found a picture of the exact car:
http://www.davesrailpix.com/odds/pa/htm/sham15.htm
If anyone is wondering the car is in good condition as it is kept under cover and amongst other things it still has most of its original windows and at least after a superficial inspection its wood is in good shape.
So, does anyone think this car is worth preserving?

#46749  by Ralph D Kautz

If the Body is in good shape you might try conntacting either the Pennsylvania Trolley Museum at Washington Pa,The Electric City Museum in Scanton Pa,or the Shade Gap Railway at the East Broad top Railroad to see if they are interested in preserving the Car.This may be a one of a kind and the trolley world can not afford to lose any more vechicles to rust and rot.

#46895  by walt

Ralph D Kautz wrote: This may be a one of a kind and the trolley world can not afford to lose any more vechicles to rust and rot.
This car may not be as unique as it seems. It is pretty typical of the deck roof, double truck, closed cars built around the turn of the 20th Century. I note that, at least in the picture, it is sitting on maximum traction trucks which were also fairly extensively used circa 1900. It is however definatelty worth preserving so the advice given is well taken.
 #724616  by skelly6090

I have been to Knoebles many times and have never noticed the trolley. I will look next time.
I lived in Mt Carmel during the 40's and 50's and I remember that their were trolley tracks on 5th st. I wonder if they took them up or just paved over them.
 #838295  by Alcophile

OK, last weekend I was in Scranton and at the Electric City Trolley Museum. There I bought a book Shamokin & Mount Carmel Transit Co. by Gene D. Gordon. It says #33 was built by Brill in 1905. It is original S&Mt.C. I believe Ed's Traction Photos confused it with #303 which was built Kuhlman in 1903 for the IRC. 303 was 3031 on the IRC. 33 has always been on the S&Mt.C. There is a picture of 33 after S&Mt.C at the park lettered "TOONERVILLE".
 #847920  by Trails to Rails

I was there last week and snapped the following pictures, sorry they are not professional quality.

Gepetto's wife or assistant wasn't too enthralled with my photo taking around the trolley and refused my request to take a few inside shots. Maybe if I bought one of their overpriced chainsaw souvenirs she may have been more receptive. In any case here is the Knoebel's Trolley:

#1050408  by Alcophile

Trails to Rails, thanks for the photos. Sorry this took so long but in addition to the S&Mt.C book, I also have a copy of William R. Gordon's book 90 Years of Buffalo Railways 1860-1950. With a confirmed photo of 3000-series car, I can say this is #33 which did NOT come from the IRC, but is original S&Mt.C. I can say that no Buffalo streetcars survive.