Railroad Forums 

• SF30B

• Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM
Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM

Moderator: Komachi

#478405  by tj48

What ever happened to Santa Fe's one and only SF30B?

#479891  by SSW9389

Santa Fe 6419 was renumbered to BNSF 4276. It appears to be for sale by BNSF at this time.
 #480185  by Bryanjones

tj48 wrote:What ever happened to Santa Fe's one and only SF30B?
this unit along with the entire BNSF B23-7 fleet was retired earlier this year and this unit is now for sale.

Bryan Jones
Brooks,KY

#480306  by uhaul

Now that you mentioned it I have not seen any BNSF B23-7 pictures recently. Looks like the July 21st retirement of UP 107 (the one with the EMD cab) ended the reign of the B23-7s on Class One railroads.

#480654  by Komachi

Say wha?

An EMD cab on a B23? Is that a "spartian" cab or a "safey" cab on that one? Just currious.

And why sell off that B-unit? I would think it would work coupled to another GP30 they have on the roster, or is it because there's no cab and therefore can't pull double-duty as a lead unit? Could they not put a cab on it if that were the case?

#480675  by SSW9389

What B unit are you talking about? The SF30B is a Santa Fe designation for a one of a kind rebuild of a U23B.
Komachi wrote:
And why sell off that B-unit?
 #481354  by jz441

Bryanjones wrote:
this unit along with the entire BNSF B23-7 fleet was retired earlier this year and this unit is now for sale.
Why would they retire them? They were great for switching out the intermodal... I will sure miss them. I loved running these engines... :(
 #481524  by LCJ

jz441 wrote:I will sure miss them. I loved running these engines...
I'm not thinking that was one of the major criteria that were considered... :wink:

#483534  by uhaul

Looks like it got sold in July.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS

#486275  by conrail_engineer

Komachi wrote:Say wha?

An EMD cab on a B23? Is that a "spartian" cab or a "safey" cab on that one? Just currious.
I got curious myself.

A Google search gave me these photos:

Gone to locomotive heaven, apparently.

It seems unseemly...until you think about it. A cab is a cab is a cab; the only concerns are dimensions. I could see grafting a spare EMD cab onto a GE that has some damage...just as I could see parking a widebody off one of those throwaway SD60Ms onto an enduring SD40.

#501595  by Leo_Ames

The MP did this to quite a few of their GE's, I assume thats an ex Missouri Pacific unit.