Railroad Forums 

• Service Unit Furlough Numbers / Calling It Good

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#610559  by Uncle Pete

I work for the UP on the Chicago Service Unit, we have three seniority districts, the Illinois Division, the Wisconsin Division, and the Chicago Freight Terminal Division. I am in the Illinois Division and currently management has furloughed 84 people with more on the way. I dont know the numbers for the service unit as a whole but I assume they will also see furloughs. I was just wondering what other service units around the up system are expierencing during this economic downturn.
 #610918  by UPRR engineer

I heard 400 are soon to be layed off in the Salt Lake City Hub. No change in Green River yet, but there is quite a bit going on in Rawlins and Cheyenne with more to come in the future.

Changed the title of your post there dude.
 #611647  by HardRoad

In Iowa they have furloughed or put people on the AWTS board all the way back to hiring classes of late January of 2006
 #612882  by rynokc

Here in KC they are back to the fall of 06 with more to come. I have been on the AWTY board since 11-11-08 and am glad that they offered it. It is better than nothing like it used to be. I hope we are back in Feb like it has been rumored. I have heard we may be a test area for the new hours of service law and we would all be needed back by Feb to staff the boards correctly.
 #626156  by clai_1976

Here in the Fort Worth Hub we have about 140 furlough. I heard last week they cut 100 engineers back to conductor so I'm sure it's gonna get uglier. They were suppose to start putting people on the AWTS board as of Friday, but no ones on it yet. I'm a new hire class started Feb 08 and I have been laid off since Oct 08.
 #629161  by UP1995

I have been furloughed since Nov. 23rd. The Union said it would be 6 to 8 months for us. There are currently 107 people furloughed on the road side.

I was on cmts today, and there are 45 metra jobs up for bid on the E1 HUB. Some of us are going to get called back! :P
 #646100  by UPRR engineer

Well they need to lay people off here like no other, why they havent.... no idea. Only thing i can think is there planning to change the name to Pelosi & Reid Pacific.
 #646495  by Uncle Pete

UPRR engineer wrote:Well they need to lay people off here like no other, why they havent.... no idea. Only thing i can think is there planning to change the name to Pelosi & Reid Pacific.
Do you have a guarantee on your boards out there? Here in Chicago the conductors have a guarantee on the pool and xtra board, but the engineers only have a guarantee on the xtra board.
 #646521  by qboy

UP1995 wrote:I have been furloughed since Nov. 23rd. The Union said it would be 6 to 8 months for us. There are currently 107 people furloughed on the road side.

I was on cmts today, and there are 45 metra jobs up for bid on the E1 HUB. Some of us are going to get called back! :P
Sorry to say it ain't no telling right now when you may be called back those Metra jobs were canceled for now.
 #646539  by UPRR engineer

All the extra boards here have a guarantee, as far i know the turns just get what they make. Here we just do local work, so its not a case of starving on a pool board. I've never known the UP to hand out free money or time off up until now. I got a feeling something is going on and its not good. Even through out Wyoming ive heard theres still too many people working, as my one friend said, you cant have 50 turns and 25 people on the extra board.
 #647660  by slchub

On my run home from Winnemucca, NV to Salt Lake City, UT (on Amtrak this morning, 03/09) I did not see one UP train on the move or hear any radio chatter except for the Carmen in Elko, NV. We had clear blocks the whole way (400+ miles).

We did pick up three UP crews in Elko to deadhead home with us in the coaches.

Very scary indeed.
 #654074  by UP1995

why can't I delete my post?
Last edited by UP1995 on Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #654084  by qboy

UP1995 wrote:Chicago Service Unit Furloughed numbers are at 169 on the road side. Not sure about the yard, but if I had to guess less than 20. Bored out of my mind, and can't find part-time work!
In all its over 300 furloughed on the CSU you will be able to add to that once the FIT are done training. Illnois div 169, Wisconsin 90, CFT 50.