Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#1320770  by lstone19

2243, the 5:46 MD-W, was using a set tonight that came from the MD-N as it was running west with a cab car leading. I was back at Roselle to pick someone up on it when it finally arrived about two hours late. Presumably, almost everything overnighting at Fox Lake is also backwards. Assuming a normal AM rush-hour (and that may be a bad assumption), Metra will have their work cut out for them tomorrow with probably close to a dozen sets that need to be wye'd during their service period.

Unfortunately, Metra's communications largely fell apart tonight. The real-time train tracker was horribly inaccurate (had 2243 estimated for Roselle at 6:59 when at that time, it wasn't even past A-5). And very little communications of what was running and when.

As I write this, Amtrak 8 has still not made it in although it's due "real soon". Looking at Amtrak's status map, 341, the last Hiawatha out of Chicago for the evening, is half a mile down the MD-W while 8 is north of A-5 waiting for its turn on the wye after which it will have to to back the five miles to CUS.
 #1320792  by doepack

lstone19 wrote:2243, the 5:46 MD-W, was using a set tonight that came from the MD-N as it was running west with a cab car leading. I was back at Roselle to pick someone up on it when it finally arrived about two hours late. Presumably, almost everything overnighting at Fox Lake is also backwards. Assuming a normal AM rush-hour (and that may be a bad assumption), Metra will have their work cut out for them tomorrow with probably close to a dozen sets that need to be wye'd during their service period.
I doubt if Metra is considering this, but depending on the number of sets that need to be turned, some "upside down" MD-N sets could be assigned to a few midday runs on MD-W, then turn them at Spaulding on the outbound runs, so they'll be "right side up" coming back east. I presume the rest would be turned at A-5 (it could technically be done at A-2 as well, but it would involve the wye used by the ADM local from NS on the UP side, plus multiple moves, so that's a non-starter; never mind...) But Spaulding has wyes at both ends, and it could at least expedite things a bit, even though it would require CN cooperation, of course.

This might be a good time to put the alternate schedule into effect...
 #1320872  by eolesen

How bad was the morning rush?
 #1320925  by CHTT1

Why would North line trains be pointed in a different direction that West line trains? They both head out of CUS with the locomotive in the lead. The only "reverse" trains at Westerna Avenue yard would be the Heritage Corridor trains, right?
 #1320932  by lstone19

I was off on a business trip so didn't ride but reports I got was "normal service".

The reason the trains were reversed was the only way for MD-N train to run from CUS was on to the MD-W, change ends, and then via the NW connector from B-6 on the MD-W to A-6 on the MD-N (as of a few months ago, what used to be the west half of A-5 is now A-6 and B-6). And the opposite for inbound. The derailment block both C&M tracks and MD-W track 1 (and apparently later, the crane was on MD-W tracks 2 so everything was via track 3 between A-2 and B-6).
 #1320958  by CHTT1

Hmm, OK. I didn't realize the move would have been that complicated .The derailment was at a very crucial spot.
 #1372502  by ohioriverrailway

Some snow-related problems on the South Shore tonight:

Due to NIPSCO Power problems, trains operating between Gary and Dune Park may be delayed 30 - 60 minutes.

Updated at: 02/24/2016 07:13 PM

WB Train 20 is running 20-30 minutes late due to severe weather.

Updated at: 02/24/2016 05:05 PM

EB Train 217 is annulled due to blizzard conditions. Passengers can take EB Train 117 departing Randolph Station at 5:28pm and will be making all station stops.

Updated at: 02/24/2016 04:54 PM

WB Train 118 is running more than 60 minutes late due to mechanical problems.

Updated at: 02/24/2016 03:57 PM

Due to blizzard conditions expect all train service for the durations of the day to incur delays of 10-20 minutes. Passengers should be at departing stations at scheduled departure time in case delays are shorter than expected.

Updated at: 02/24/2016 11:24 AM
 #1372593  by ohioriverrailway

And going from bad to worse:
All train service to and from Chicago remains suspended this morning because of NIPSCO related blizzard damage. Metra is honoring South Shore tickets on the Metra Electric District. We are committed to restoring service as soon as it is safe to do so. We apologize for any inconvenience. Please check back to our webiste for service updates.

Updated at: 02/25/2016 06:04 AM
 #1375033  by ohioriverrailway

And another bad day for the South Shore...allegedly happened around 5AM

All South Shore train service has been suspended. A passenger train derailed as it was being moved into position for revenue service in Michigan City. There were no passengers on board and no injuries. We have called for specialized re-railing equipment. There is also damage to our overhead wire and track. All South Shore personnel have been dispatched to the scene to make repairs and restore service as quickly as possible.

This service suspension may remain in effect for the entire day. Metra is honoring all forms of South Shore tickets today. We will update this message when new information is available.

NICTD apologizes for any inconvenience.

Updated at: 03/12/2016 02:15 PM
 #1392181  by ohioriverrailway

This showed up on the South Shore Facebook page about 7:45 tonight:
Due to a temporary loss of over head power Trains 15,117,119,and 222 are currently stopped.Duration of delay is unknown. Updates to follow when service resumes.
Nothing on their website yet.
 #1443725  by Gilbert B Norman

"Something happened" in "The Land Of The Burlingtons" yesterday.

First on my walk (my house to West Hinsdale and return - 2.1mi according to Mr. Samsung Health), I noted that 1268 (12) was operating some half hour late. The station announcement said "interference". Next, about 20 min later (after two freights met at Prospect Ave putting the "Soccer Moms" in their SUV's into fume mode), I noted a six car set and locomotive , evidently disabled, being handled by a BNSF Great Northern liveried GP-40 Eastward to presumably the Zephyr House.

Anyone?
 #1450106  by MetraBNSF

This evening, two consecutive BNSF Downers Grove express trains were cancelled due to mechanical issues. Both the 5:04p (1259) and 5:26 (1269) CUS departures were axed. A cancellation like this likely put additional strain on later trains, not sure if the Naperville express trains that depart 4 minutes prior to both added DG/Belmont/Lisle stops to accommodate.

November has had a history of being a volatile weather month and today’s lake effect snow likely played a part in this service disruption, including morning trains facing delays due to signal and switch problems.