Railroad Forums 

• SEPTA to Piggyback on NJT MLV III (EMU) Order?

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1532912  by 93r8g7

rcthompson04 wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:45 am
Head-end View wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:41 pm MattW, locomotives work better on lines with some distance between stations. Electric MU's work a lot better on a railroad like SEPTA where the stations are very closely spaced on some lines and you need faster acceleration and deceleration to maintain the schedule.
SEPTA showed with its "all day push-pull" experiment that it does not know how to run push-pull equipment on non-express runs. I think that the ACS-64s with 3 Bomber coaches and a control car could be used off peak, but they need to be used in specific areas: Wilmington/Newark line, Trenton line, and Paoli-Thorndale, Doylestown, Norristown, West Trenton.

Use them on the earlier or later express runs and pair them with an off-peak run back to the yard. I would keep them off the Reading side except for express runs and deadheading to the yards.
Wrong again! SEPTA knows very well how to operate push-pulls. The only problem is more of the crew needs to be trained on them, which they are working on. EMU's are a very solid vehicle, particularly SEPTA's. Some transit agencies would kill for them rather than be stuck with push pulls.

Secondly, it's a completely falsity that SEPTA stations are closely spaced. On the Chestnut Hill East, Bala, and Fox Chase Lines, perhaps a few others, sure they are, just like every railroad, but for the most part, they are far enough apart for excellent operation with Push Pulls. We had a push pull set on the Norristown Line only 3 weeks ago, ran perfectly fine. Not to mention a few stations just need to go. Angora and Daylesford being a few such examples. This thread is about SEPTA purchasing stepped-up multilevel EMU's anyway, which are not push pulls. Not surprisingly, most keyboard warriors are completely useless trolls. Blame these people for the reason the system can't expand - because half, if not more, of the people are complete useless fools.
 #1532934  by njtmnrrbuff

MUs are suited great for Septa. Many of their lines have stops that are very close to each other. Plus, many of them are low level platforms. For example, the Paoli-Thorndale Line has several stops that are probably about a mile a part from each other-between Overbrook and Paoli. West of Paoli, many of the stops are more spread out so having the push pulls run on the expresses that skip many stops east of Paoli but stop at every station west of Paoli to Thorndale is fine. As for the Septa Multilevel MUs, I hope that they work fine. They will certainly provide additional seating capacity and will probably be great on routes like the Trenton Line, even during off peak hours.
 #1532939  by Head-end View

93r8g7: Hey, don't knock Daylesford station! LOL Back in 2005 when I visited that area, it was the only station I could find a parking space at around 10am. No spaces at Paoli or the next station west.

Re: closely spaced stations, what about the West Trenton Line? From Jenkintown-Wyncote to Trevose there is a long string of closely spaced stations.

Also please watch who you call a useless troll. You yourself sound like an angry person with an agenda.
 #1532942  by AlexC

Thread locked for cool down period.