Railroad Forums 

• SEPTA Southwest Connection Improvement Program

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1479627  by zebrasepta

Seems like a huge project is coming for SEPTA improving Arsenal and other areas.
http://www.septa.org/southwestconnection/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Overall Program Scope

Reconfigure and replace the existing Arsenal Interlocking (area of switches)
Remove the existing Walnut Interlocking and realign rail
Create a new Interlocking and turn back track near University City Station
Replace the overhead contact system and the Overhead Catenary System structures
Repair/Upgrade retaining walls and structural elements inside Walnut St Tunnel
Repair drainage structures
 #1479673  by CNJGeep

sammy2009 wrote:This does seem like a big scope project for SEPTA. I'll be glad to see the overhead catenary system structures be replaced. The old ones are rotting away...have they been there since the beginning of the PRR ?
No, those were placed in I believe the middle '20s and are far from the oldest PRR Catenary poles. The ones on the Paoli line are from 1910 and the ones on the CHW line are from about 1918.
 #1480342  by scotty269

CNJGeep wrote:
sammy2009 wrote:This does seem like a big scope project for SEPTA. I'll be glad to see the overhead catenary system structures be replaced. The old ones are rotting away...have they been there since the beginning of the PRR ?
No, those were placed in I believe the middle '20s and are far from the oldest PRR Catenary poles. The ones on the Paoli line are from 1910 and the ones on the CHW line are from about 1918.
One could argue that, while even ~15 years younger, see much more activity than the Main or CHW lines especially in the last 30 years.
 #1481831  by zebrasepta

Here's more info about the Southwest Connection Improvement Program

https://www.rtands.com/passenger/commut ... t-program/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (SEPTA) will perform work as part of the Southwest Connection Improvement Program in August aimed at rebuilding mainline infrastructure on the Media/Elwyn Regional Rail Line.

The Southwest Connection Improvement Program is a multi-stage reconstruction effort that will continue through 2020. The program scope includes reconfiguring and replacing the existing Arsenal Interlocking; removing the existing Walnut Interlocking and realigning rail, creating a new interlocking and turn back track near University City Station; repairing/upgrading retaining walls and structural elements inside Walnut Street Tunnel and repairing drainage structures.
 #1514508  by NorthPennLimited

Back in March I took the train to the Airport and noticed all the switches in Arsenal Interlocking looked new with fresh groomed ballast everywhere.

If I’m understanding it correctly, the scope of this summer’s shutdown is to:
* Build a new Interlocking between University City and Arsenal
* Eliminate the old Walnut Interlocking
* Fix the old stone wall in the tunnel (I noticed some of the big stone blocks are missing)

Is there a legitimate reason to build a new Interlocking a stone throw from Arsenal? I can’t see the economic or operational value in this huge project.

Does anyone have a diagram of what the railroad will look like after the project is completed? Does anyone know why they have to build this second Interlocking and then remove Walnut?
 #1514516  by CNJGeep

The new Interlocking (Civic) is being placed in service south of the station so that if there is a service disruption, University City can be serviced and trains spun south of the station, instead of in the station and crossing over at Walnut, holding up other traffic. Arsenal is really not configured for spinning a train.

The end game is to assume control of #4 & 5 tracks south of Arsenal to Phil. Catenary poles are also SUPPOSED to be replaced this year.