Railroad Forums 

• SEPTA NPT card will be "SEPTA Key"?

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1503733  by pjabowling

The new Key website is a bit cleaner allowing you to see your balance a little better. The spreadsheet type grids are gone. It's a lot easier to add funds to your travel wallet.

The trip history is easier to read and understand. Even the autoload option is explained better. It avoids you tapping your card on a vehicle only to realize you don't have enough money loaded and could possibly be in a position where you can't reload.

The dispute history shows all your requests. Septa probably should rename it so it sounds more positive. I have a request in there still pending since December when I was incorrectly charged for a trip when a key validator didn't work.

The help section now properly explains how the Convenience Pass will work after purchase.The Septa website never did. I still feel you should have the option to purchase the pass and activate it when you are ready, not necessarily on your next tap. My example always is I'm buying the pass for my child to use on Saturday. I want to purchase it now so I don't forget. They are doing a single trip to school of Friday but Saturday I have them running errands and I want the pass to start then.
 #1504170  by MACTRAXX

RCT - Just a reminder:

Are you aware that Key monthly passes have "cap" limits on use each month?

SEPTA Legacy Zone/CC passes are true "unlimited use" passes and have NO cap limits whatsoever...

If you use your pass more then twice each day on RRD trains it pays to count your rides especially
if you are a regular user of transit using multiple vehicles for each trip - ALL rides WILL count towards
a given Key cap limit.

I brought this up alongside the updated Key information site as to inform those that are unaware
that there are "cap" limits for any Key monthly and weekly passes as opposed to NO limits on the
Legacy pass types (Zones 1-2-3-Anywhere and Cross County) that are currently sold and used.

As long as SEPTA continues to sell Legacy passes if I was still commuting I would use them up to
the time they are no longer available. Giving up privileges such as "Anywhere" use on weekends
(without the on-board hassle of having to have the Key scanned by a crew member) will be tough.

Read further in this topic since we have covered the subject of Key "caps" previously...MACTRAXX
 #1504205  by BuddCar711

MACTRAXX wrote:I brought this up alongside the updated Key information site as to inform those that are unaware
that there are "cap" limits for any Key monthly and weekly passes as opposed to NO limits on the
Legacy pass types (Zones 1-2-3-Anywhere and Cross County) that are currently sold and used.

As long as SEPTA continues to sell Legacy passes if I was still commuting I would use them up to
the time they are no longer available. Giving up privileges such as "Anywhere" use on weekends
(without the on-board hassle of having to have the Key scanned by a crew member) will be tough.
Not to mention that you can use a legacy TrailPass on any DART bus route in northern New Castle County and not the Key Card.
 #1504212  by JeffK

The more of these special cases that come to light, the more obvious it is that the Key's been filled with more "gotchas" than the legacy fare system, all seemingly designed to siphon extra $$$ from riders who don't fit the model of an Ideal SEPTA Commuter.

And there doesn't seem to be a d*** thing that can be done to stop it.
 #1504306  by JeffK

JimBoylan wrote:Some of the SEPTA Directors and the critters who appoint them are running for reelection this season. Are you registered to Vote?
Absolutely, and have only missed maybe 2 elections in 30+ years.

The problem is that after all that's happened, I STILL run into too many people who tell me they can't be bothered, don't care, or want to cast "protest" votes. I give them the whys and musts to try to get them to turn out but it's very discouraging. (Full disclosure: I'm the election chief for our precinct which lets me see a bit more of what goes on compared to the average bear.)
 #1506056  by rcthompson04

JeffK wrote:The more of these special cases that come to light, the more obvious it is that the Key's been filled with more "gotchas" than the legacy fare system, all seemingly designed to siphon extra $$$ from riders who don't fit the model of an Ideal SEPTA Commuter.

And there doesn't seem to be a d*** thing that can be done to stop it.
How many users of trail passes use them 240 times in a month? That would require 8 taps a day in a 30 day month to reach that number.
 #1506081  by JeffK

rcthompson04 wrote:How many users of trail passes use them 240 times in a month? That would require 8 taps a day in a 30 day month to reach that number.
It's not a large number, but because the Key counts each boarding as a "tap" anyone who uses SEPTA as their primary means of travel and whose trips require multiple connections can in fact hit that amount. Not likely, but not impossible either. When the caps were first announced they were considerably lower, to the point where people with two transfers per day and limited weekend use would exceed their limits. The 240 cap was a wide compromise that serves the majority of riders while preventing the most egregious cases of pass-sharing.

The "tap cap" is pretty far down on my list of concerns, though. I'm far more PO'ed about the delays, waste, and cost overruns incurred during the Key's development plus the well-documented effects it's having on riders who aren't middle class 9-to-5 commuters.
 #1506115  by MACTRAXX

RCT: First remember again that the Legacy passes have NO cap limit and are true unlimited use.

Second - Zones 1 and 2 are in Philadelphia and close-in established suburbs meaning a shorter RRD
ride and potentially more transit use. In comparison Zones 3 and 4 riders take longer RRD rides and
have less options for transit use in the suburbs and exurbs.

Third - Yes. I do agree that 240 rides can be a large number that a minority of riders will reach or
exceed each month but with each use no matter how trivial it will all add up to a cap limitation.

A short transit ride that costs $2.50 cash will count just the same as a long RRD ride that can cost
up to $9.25 (the Anywhere via CCP -or- CCP to Zone NJ fare which is the same price) towards a cap
limit. Transit rides should allow at least one $1 transfer that will be part of one journey.

Key users should be able to easily keep count of their card use towards a cap by use of a reader
or other method (does the scanning device used by RRD crews have the count number?) so that
if one comes close or possibly exceeds the monthly ride cap limit they will know in advance.

We would be more enthusiastic about the Key if it was as flexible to use as the Legacy passes are.
As we have pointed out over time this is just not the case here...MACTRAXX
 #1506131  by CNJGeep

MACTRAXX wrote:(does the scanning device used by RRD crews have the count number?)
No.
 #1506177  by ChesterValley

I'd be more enthusiastic for the key if they just told me how much is left on the card; playing the game did I remember to recharge my card is not fun. The machines don't do that now, which is weird because there is that big screen which can be configured.
 #1506186  by Patrick Boylan

I think I was able to see my balance on a vending machine. Are you talking about the turnstiles and tap readers? If so I sure agree they should also display balances on the turnstiles and bus and trolley tap readers.