Railroad Forums 

• SEPTA Mask Mandate Over

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1595938  by AlexC

From the app: "General SEPTA Alert: Effective immediately, in accordance with CDC and TSA recommendations, the wearing of masks aboard SEPTA vehicles and in SEPTA stations & concourses is recommended by not longer required of customers of employees."
 #1595961  by MACTRAXX

PHLSpecial wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:25 pm Welp I hope this increases ridership! This is big
PHL (and Everyone) - Not So Fast...

Ending the mask requirement will be welcome news to some riders - BUT NOT ALL...

There will likely be appeals to this ruling - and other transit agencies (NY MTA a good example) will still
require and enforce a mask mandate pending more guidance from the CDC...

With another variant showing signs of further extending "The Problem" there may be a percentage of
people that will be reluctant to ride mass transit - causing ridership on SEPTA's system to drop again...
Remember the City of Philadelphia's recent decision about reinstating the indoor mask mandate...

We will see over the course of the coming weeks how this situation is dealt with for transit riders...MACTRAXX
 #1595969  by JeffK

MACTRAXX wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:16 am
PHLSpecial wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:25 pm Welp I hope this increases ridership! This is big
PHL (and Everyone) - Not So Fast...

Ending the mask requirement will be welcome news to some riders - BUT NOT ALL...

There will likely be appeals to this ruling - and other transit agencies (NY MTA a good example) will still require and enforce a mask mandate pending more guidance from the CDC...

With another variant showing signs of further extending "The Problem" there may be a percentage of people that will be reluctant to ride mass transit - causing ridership on SEPTA's system to drop again... Remember the City of Philadelphia's recent decision about reinstating the indoor mask mandate...

We will see over the course of the coming weeks how this situation is dealt with for transit riders...MACTRAXX
I couldn't put it better. The judge's ruling is almost certain to be appealed, especially because some of her statements are, how to put it, at variance with current scientific understanding of the virus. IMHO this should never have been turned into a political issue.

In my case there's no real option but to continue wearing a mask. One family member's too young to be vaccinated and another has respiratory issues - I have to do what little I can to limit their exposure. Yeah, masks are annoying but getting sick is a lot worse.
 #1595981  by rcthompson04

I will report back tomorrow on how people are treating mask wearing. Probably will wear a mask as SEPTA is recommending, but not requiring. Have to give it some more thought as this is a personal decision in my opinion these days due to the availability of high quality masks that can protect you as well as others.
 #1596031  by JeffK

From the DOJ late this afternoon:
"The Department of Justice and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) disagree with the district court’s decision and will appeal, subject to CDC’s conclusion that the order remains necessary for public health."
Stay tuned, all.
 #1598434  by rcthompson04

Myrtone wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 5:39 pm
rcthompson04 wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:35 am Probably 90% wearing masks still on 9590 this morning.
Should it really be permanent?
No. I have been tracking this anecdotally since the mandate ended and it dipped below 50% for some time, but is back up to 75% the two days I went in this week.