Railroad Forums 

Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

#524947  by NS VIA FAN

VIA has uploaded new schedules in ReserVIA that show the Ocean & Chaleur operating separately beginning on June 15th. The day that Easterly Class resumes for the summer with the addition of a Park Car on the Ocean.

The current VIA timetable shows different departure and arrival times at Central Station only for the Ocean & Chaleur. This is to allow for the combining or splitting of the train if it has to occupy two tracks in Central due to the length of the consist. All other times, St Lambert and east are the same.

But beginning June 15, there will be different times for each train at other stops too: At Charney (Quebec City) for example, the eastbound Chaleur #616 will depart at 21:42 and the Ocean #614 at 22:17.

During the summer in other years, the Ocean and Chaleur have run combined with the consists approaching 30 cars in length. This required double and triple stops at some stations. Time keeping was terrible....... Hopefully this will eliminate the problem.
Last edited by NS VIA FAN on Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #525720  by jp1822

Westbound it will now leave Gaspe at 15:05, as opposed to 14:30.

Check your times, it appears the Chaleur will continue to leave Charney ahead of the Chaleur (departure from Charney for the Chaleur at 21:42, as opposed to the Ocean at 22:17.

It is good that VIA is finally recognizing they need to operate separate trains for the Chaleur and Ocean. I just wish they started it in May when I have a potential trip to Gaspe on the Chaleur scheduled. Hoping they can get me all the way out to Gaspe by train and not a short turn!
 #526712  by jp1822

Interesting that if you travel between Montreal and Charney, VIA tries to sell one a ticket in the Chaleur, versus the Ocean, that is when the Chaleur is running.

I'd still like to see if patronage would increase if the Chaleur were to directly serve Quebec City - more so to bring passengers further west towards Gaspe. Would seem it would take about a half hour for the Chaleur to get from Charney to Quebec City and then another 1/2 hour for it to return. But a reverse move or wye would have to be involved at the Quebec City station I believe. Only way this would work is if the Chaleur departed Montreal at least by 6:00 p.m. (18:00), and departed Gaspe around in time to arrive into Montreal by 9:00 a.m. to make needed connections.