Railroad Forums 

• Seneca Yard Reborn???

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#77246  by SimTrains

I was out to Seneca Yard yesterday to find an empty rail train, and a bunch of heavey equipment parked there. I herd a few days ago that some major work was on the way for the yard. But, what could it be??
While I was there a local out of the Ohio St. yard dropped off a string of cars, and picked one up that was already there. I was under the assumption that the yard was closed. Anyone know what is going on?

#77272  by Aji-tater

Sounds like A - an unused yard was a good place to park an empty rail train without interfering with regular operations, or B they're gettiung ready to tear it up. Since the rail train was empty it does not sound like they are rebuilding the yard, and it would have to be a significant rehabilitation to use welded rail.

#77300  by charlie6017

My first impulse was tearing up the yard. I hope CSX is'nt getting too hasty.

#77306  by WNYRailfan

The rumor in March was that they were going to rehab the yard. The yard was closed and most of the track was removed in the late 1990's (~1998). Slowly they added new track in the last year. I have no idea what is going on now. Please update me!!

#77388  by SRS125

lord knows there always opening and closeing that yard seems like every outher year.

#77529  by roadster

Last I heard this summer was that CSX was considering to rehab the yard and convert it into a van site, and the stockyard would be all flexiflo. In the mean time it is a convenient place to store extra cars and equipment. I also understand that there is still some interchange and/or industry work out that way. Occasionally while pulling into Frontier, I hear the NG dsptr talking to a yard job either going to or returning from over there.

#77718  by Railroaded

WNYRF, you may be slightly confusal on Seneca Yard. I 've been watching that yard for 6 or 7 years and I don't recall seeing ANY tracks removed or added. It was full of cars right up until about a year or so ago when they made the decision to move op's to Frontier.

-B in B

#77748  by SimTrains

Well, I hope it will be made into something. It was sad seeing the yard office borded up, and all the construction equipment around it.

#78205  by videobruce

Parts of switches were removed last year for parts (frogs) at the east end of the yard.

There is talk that CSX approached some trucking firms to operate it as a intermodal site.