Railroad Forums 

• Selkirk Yard

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#864254  by AMK0123

Made the trip back up to Selkirk yesterday. Nothing much has changed since my last visit, however some interesting notes: Observed through a sea of CSX engines a pair of BNSF engines, CN 5563 and Pan AM 377. Also saw Genset 1307 (Oak point switcher) attached to Hudson Line engines 8832 and 8833, and CSX 4846 (SD70ACe). Was busy as usual, saw Q-438 come into the yard from the River line and the Hudson, NY grain train (G051) coming in from the Hudson line. None was stop switching over the hump and moving of engines around the facility plus saw several Q-300's heading west along with Q-227. Would recommend to anyone to head up in the next week or saw before all the foliage is down and it gets to cold!
 #998467  by MBTA1016

fw2008 wrote:Hi;
I'm looking for some better imagery of Selkirk yard. Google Earth is better than Virtual Earth, but neither is really good enough for what I need it for. I am building a simulation in Trainz 2006.
I have a yard schematic, but I think it's a bit on the aged side.

One thing I am looking at is the east end of the yard. There appear to be three "running tracks" that come out of the yard and just end before switching into the main. The schematic shows these tracks as such, but I am confused as to what the purpose of "dead end" tracks would be in this configuration.

Thanks

FW
Did you finish it yet or still in progress.
 #998734  by Noel Weaver

Mbta fan wrote:
fw2008 wrote:Hi;
I'm looking for some better imagery of Selkirk yard. Google Earth is better than Virtual Earth, but neither is really good enough for what I need it for. I am building a simulation in Trainz 2006.
I have a yard schematic, but I think it's a bit on the aged side.

One thing I am looking at is the east end of the yard. There appear to be three "running tracks" that come out of the yard and just end before switching into the main. The schematic shows these tracks as such, but I am confused as to what the purpose of "dead end" tracks would be in this configuration.

Thanks

FW
Did you finish it yet or still in progress.
These stub end tracks are "drill tracks", their purpose is for pulling a string of cars out of the class yard and move them to the departure yard (north or south in this case) where the car department takes over, couples all of the hoses and puts them on ground air to charge the air system prior to the road power coming out of the fuel plant.
Noel Weaver