Railroad Forums 

• SELECTED ON-TIME PERFORMANCE - END OF THE LINE

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1588992  by shlustig

Well, after 20+ years of providing the periodic reviews, we have reached the end of the line.

While I very much appreciate the contacts made both on site and off-line, there does not seem to be any point in continuing the review. For those of us who have been present since 1971, Amtrak has been a miserable failure and does not seem to show any reason to expect that there will occur a sudden and drastic improvement.

Certainly, the personnel involved both with the carriers and the Feds offer no reason to believe that positive change is imminent.

While I may offer an occasional comment about future operations, the periodic review has run its course.

As a parting shot to the hosts of this site, please get rid of the repetitive "crap" advertisements. Their presence is a major detraction.

Again, best regards to all.

SHL
 #1588996  by Gilbert B Norman

Sir, I sincerely respect your sharing of the selected train performance at the Forum.

I'm truly sorry that "gentleman" from Texas (not you, Ron) had to assail your work during my first term as Moderator around these parts. I insitisted he be gone before I accepted my second.

But I think your message came through loud and clear; that OTP could not be improved until Amtrak was willing to pay the full opportunity cost to a road for what the Amtrak train was depriving them from attaining.

Over at one particular advocacy site, there seems to be a line of thought that the entire 110K mile Class I system is "theirs for the taking". "We want our train from Podunk to Jerkwater, so start running it".

As I have contended throughout my entire twenty three year participation at this site (including predecessors), the operation of the National Network over the investor owned Class I System represents a Taking without just compensation and in direct violation of the Fifth Amendment. If the roads chose to become more aggressive about assertion of their Rights under such, I would be solidly in their corner.

But may I say to you, Mr. Sheldon H. Lustig, "thank you for your service".

disclaimer: author Long UNP