Railroad Forums 

• SELECTED ON-TIME PERFORMANCE 2/6/22 THROUGH ?????? COMMENTS

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1591244  by shlustig

Took a look at the performance as shown this morning and found nothing posted on the 2 Amtrak Alerts Twitter sites in the last 12 hours.

Sooo, no idea why "Empire Service" #280 lost 1' 42" east of Rochester.

Due to "Equipment Issues", #49 (5th) "Lake Shore Limited" lost 1' 35" at ALB, and #50 (5th) Dp. CHI 2. 45" late and is east of CIN now 4' 35" tardy.

It just continues on and on.
 #1591250  by Railjunkie

As I was leaving ALB on a late AMT48, issues for another time. I did hear the engineer calling the conductor about 480, conductor said he had no lights. Guess the circuit breaker tripped on the head end and it wouldn't reset. The plan was go to SDY and switch it over to the second unit, however station master called the shop foreman who got involved. The last thing I heard over the radio was 49 once your ready OK to make a reverse move back towards Albany. How far they had made it up the hill I have no idea before all this happened.
Cant speak for 280 didn't hear anything while hanging around all day waiting on 48
 #1591265  by twropr

From what I could hear on the Herkimer radio feed, CSX I020 on TK 2 was stopped with air problems at Utica and 280 was held at CP 257. It was very cold, about -6, and the NC train dispatcher said something about lots of switch problems so 280 may have been held. To further complicate matters I017 on TK 1 get a hot bearing alarm coming into Utica, so there was no way to get 280 around I020.
Andy
 #1591451  by shlustig

A couple of delays from yesterday:

#59 took a 3' 10" delay just after dpg CHI due to mechanical problems; and

#30 eastbound "Capitol Limited" took an extra hour to go from South Bend to Elkhart (17 miles) with no explanation on Twitter Delays site.

Par for the course in today's operations.
 #1591457  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Lustig, have you any further reports regarding #7(8) which Mr. Wolf reported han an on-board fire occurring at Glenview

He noted his reports were "sketchy" and I have not seen any report through local media. I would think an FD response at the station would have attracted their attention.
 #1591727  by shlustig

QUERY #1:

When #48 (11th) Dp. ALB 3' 50" late, what arrangements are made for a dinner meal as NYP arrival was about 10:15PM?

QUERY #2:

When Wolverine #350 operated with a single engine and no spare was available at Pontiac, why was there no arrangement to have a host road tow the outbound turn #355 to Milwaukee Jct. where the consist could be wyed or to wye the single Amtrak unit at Pontiac? Instead, #355 made a reverse movement at reduced speed 22 miles to Mil Jct. with one of the train crew at the leading edge vestibule to control the movement. Same thing occurred the next day.

According to the old TV commercial: "Inquiring minds want to know". But obviously those inquiring minds are not to be found among senior Amtrak management, or with Federal and State agencies supposedly responsible for monitoring Amtrak operations.
 #1591731  by Railjunkie

Mr Lustig

As for Query #1 the old stand by was Dinty Moore Beef Stew and Minute Rice, for just such occasions. Have no idea if they even served a meal just going off my time long ago in the OBS craft. This is two Saturdays in a row of being late and I don't like it anymore than the traveling public.

Just want to get on get off go home.
 #1592646  by shlustig

Was clearing out old files and found that the OT performance for the period 2/8/12 through 3/8/12 was 70% and the Average Delay was 28".

Raises the question of just why the OT performance deteriorated to the extent that it has.

And remember that in my review I did not allow a "Grace period"; OT was OT and Late was Late!
 #1592988  by west point

shlustig wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:53 am Trains #'s 313 & 314 on the KCY Corridor are both cancelled today @ condemnable wheels according to a report.

#314 is the AM run KCY to STL. Apparently, there is no spare equipment available to run the PM return to KCY.
About the wheels. Read the following link.
https://www.railwayage.com/news/rail-wh ... -critical/
 #1592995  by Gilbert B Norman

Neighbors just completed a Naperville to Grand Junction trip on #5(2), which was "OT all the way". Two in a Roomette even if able bodied sixtysomethings, is "a bit too clubby" for me. In common with any of my neighbors around here. they could have sprung for a Bedroom (any others of them have ORD in their vacation itineraries).

Here's a text I sent him while en route:
Try to remember if you get late, that's someone else's railroad you're on - the Union Pacific, in which I have a position in my portfolio.

They don't make a dime on running Amtrak trains.

GBN
They sent me a photo of a UP freight (looks like coal) following them up the Front Range.