Railroad Forums 

• SELECTED ON-TIME PERFORMANCE 11/10/21 THROUGH ????????

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1586402  by Railjunkie

J.D. Lang wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:37 am I've seen CSX hold freights on the B&A numerous times for Amtrak. Case in point, from CP-109 just west of Westfield Center MA. to CP-123 just east of Chester MA. the B&A is single track. On the Chester Station Museum webcam I've seen eastbound freights held on the double track by the station for up to 45 min. to let westbound P-449 come up the hill and clear CP-123.

Now if you had a crew that was close to the end of their Hrs. of service they would hold 449 at CP109 and let the freight come down first. Can't blame CSX for wanting to get their crew into a yard and avoid tying up the mainline while waiting to recrew. It's just the nature of railroading so Amtrak just has to deal with it.
Its been a long while since Ive run the B&A with 449/448 but I do remember meeting trains at CP123 on a pretty regular basis. At the time CP123 was also a good place to witness the "B&A shuffle". Worked with a conductor who would never back up on a restricting signal wish I could have made a tape of those conversations.