Railroad Forums 

• Seen this one? - Western Union Telegraph Car

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1595386  by MACTRAXX

WE and Krispy - Interesting mention about LIRR pole line removal - and insulators being collectible.
I remember back in 1988 along the newly-electrified Ronkonkoma Branch that the poles were removed
by cutting them down at the base - and that the crews doing this work left the insulators behind when
the poles and crossarms were carted away. Many green glass insulators (the name Hemingray comes
to mind) were broken and not worth taking. There were black rubber insulators that were used on the
poles that I also found. In one case a considerable number of insulators were left in an area that was
not accessible - the location was the northwest corner of what now is the Sysco property just east of
Lowell Avenue in Central Islip and the substation at MP 44 on the bluff.

I remember poles being marked with the letters "WUT" as example on those same pole lines...

I was able to rescue a few green glass and rubber insulators that were sadly being discarded back then.
I brought them to LIST meetings as example - and remember that RMLI has some in their collection.

Did the LIRR "keep track" of when each section of pole line was removed?
I do find it interesting that there is or was some segments still intact today...MACTRAXX
 #1595456  by workextra

The poles along the line to Montuak primarily have the black rubber type insulator. Though I did Identify 2 white and 4 green glass insulators. On poles inaccessible to many.

This poles were owned by WUT? If so what does this have to do with LIRR? Yes they used to to sent a wire down the line, and yes WUT used LIRR ROWs to lay their telegraph line ROW. This was a mutually beneficial operation.
But did the LIRR own any of these poles or a shares in WUT?