Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the D&H. For more information, please visit the Bridge Line Historical Society.

Moderator: MEC407

#3006  by Albanymain

In a photo of the Voorheesville station I have seen (I think Shaughnessy's photo of a NYC ALCo) you can see a speeder car set out behind the station on the NYC side. Did the D&H have a crew that worked out of Voorheesville also? Just wondering what kind of stories/highjinks occured if there were two section crews, each from seperate RRs stationed in the same place. :wink: HMMMM

Thanks in advance for any and all help
 #3688  by ChiefTroll

About 70 years ago the D&H had a section gang about every 5-10 miles, so there was probably one at Voorheesville. In later decades the sections were lengthened, so probably the last section gang on the Albany Main was in Altamont. The NYC maintained the Voorheesville crossing diamonds, so there was no "hot spot" there for the D&H Track Department to worry over.

By the time I came to the D&H in 1966, most of the track maintenance on the Albany Main was handled by the track gangs from Schenectady and Cobleskill. Until July 1, 1967, the Track Supervisor at Colonie was in charge, with the territory bordered by DE Cabin on the south and GV and QG Cabins on the north. When Frank Robbins retired from that job, his territory was split between Oneonta and Saratoga Springs, so the Albany Main reverted to the old boundaries of the Susquehanna Division under the Track Supervisor at Oneonta. The end points were KN (Kenwood) and WY (Mechanicville, via Schenectady) on the north, and JN (Jefferson Jct) and Binghamton on the south.

The Albany Main was originally part of the Susquehanna Division, with the Superintendent, dispatchers and Division Engineer at Oneonta.

I never heard any stories about "rivalries" between the NYC and D&H at Voorheesville. On the contrary, when Penn Central replaced both crossing diamonds in 1971 we worked closely together. We both raised our tracks to get better grades, and the work went very well. The PC Burro Crane at Selkirk had just been burned up in a fire behind 84 Lumber at Fullers, so we used a D&H crane to handle the heavy stuff.

If the photo in question is the one with the NYC 1042 in the lead of a westbound freight, the NYC motor car is a Fairmont M9, which was seldom used by the Track Department. They could only carry two men and some hand tools. That is probably assigned to a signal maintainer, and I believe the NYC had a maintainer assigned to Voorheesville. There is also a R board to the right of the eastbound main, indicating the limit (Resume Speed) of a temporary speed restriction, probably over the crossing.
 #4271  by Albanymain

Chief Troll,

As usual thanks very much for the info.