Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#1295249  by eastwind

MTA Publishes 2015-2019 Capital Program

Fair use quote:
The MTA's proposed 2015-2019 Capital Program is out.
The proposed $32 billion Capital Program is designed to renew, enhance and expand the MTA network, which moves 8.7 million customers every day and makes the $1.4 trillion regional economy possible.
The Capital Program also includes $5.5 billion to expand the MTA network through major investments. This includes $1.5 billion to begin the next phase of the Second Avenue Subway from 96th Street to 125th Street, $2.8 billion to complete funding for the East Side Access project that will bring the Long Island Rail Road into Grand Central Terminal, and $743 million to begin the Penn Access project to bring Metro-North New Haven Line service into Penn Station and build four new stations in the Bronx.
The 2015-2019 Capital Program can be downloaded from this link: http://web.mta.info/capital/pdf/Board_2 ... rogram.pdf

[emphasis added]
 #1302105  by railfan365

FRN9 wrote:Does anyone know the exact location of the 125 street & Lexington Ave station and how far the tail tracks extend west?
At present, the Lexington Avenue/125th Street Station for the SAS has not been built, and there are no tail tracks at that location. That station is just a promised part of the yet to be built Phase II.
 #1302129  by zerovanity59

railfan365 wrote:
FRN9 wrote:Does anyone know the exact location of the 125 street & Lexington Ave station and how far the tail tracks extend west?
At present, the Lexington Avenue/125th Street Station for the SAS has not been built, and there are no tail tracks at that location. That station is just a promised part of the yet to be built Phase II.
I do not know if it has been decided if the station should be approached from the east (2nd Ave and 125th Street) or the south (124th street and Lexington Ave).
 #1302754  by jonnhrr

The segment constructed in phase I runs as far as 96th st. There is a segment of tunnel from 99th to 105th street that was part of the initial project started in the 1970's that will be used for tail tracks when phase I becomes operational but eventually will become part of phase II. Also in the 1970's a section between 110th and 120th street was completed and that will also be utilized in phase II.

Jon
 #1303476  by railfan365

zerovanity59 wrote:
railfan365 wrote:
I do not know if it has been decided if the station should be approached from the east (2nd Ave and 125th Street) or the south (124th street and Lexington Ave).
It's been announced that when Phase II will be built, if ever, the 125th and Lex station will be approached form the East. The line will go up 2nd Avenue until 125th Street where it will split between a short spur going up 2nd to 129th for car storage, and going West on 125th Street until Lexington Avenue where there will be free transfers with the Lexington Avenue Line, and connection to/from MetroNorth.
 #1309354  by railfan365

I was reading on another thread about the difficulty in boring out tunnels for new lines. Is that part of why it takes so much longer to build a new subway line since that 1960's than it used to?
 #1309387  by zerovanity59

railfan365 wrote:I was reading on another thread about the difficulty in boring out tunnels for new lines. Is that part of why it takes so much longer to build a new subway line since that 1960's than it used to?
Although all of the lines are being bored instead of cut and cover, the station building appears to be taking the longest time.
 #1315924  by railfan365

Having been through the Lexington Avenue Station on 63rd Street several times since SAS construction has been underway, it seems that a lot more is being done than removing the walls that divided the platforms (which should not have been built) and adding access at the 3rd Avenue end - which should have been done the first time around. the station seems to be getting a major renovation with new elevators, new ventilation, new paneling and tiles, etc. Why is that, when this is one of the newest stations in the system? Is it to make it look good as a transfer point to new service?
 #1315944  by DogBert

railfan365 wrote:Having been through the Lexington Avenue Station on 63rd Street several times since SAS construction has been underway, it seems that a lot more is being done than removing the walls that divided the platforms (which should not have been built) and adding access at the 3rd Avenue end - which should have been done the first time around. the station seems to be getting a major renovation with new elevators, new ventilation, new paneling and tiles, etc. Why is that, when this is one of the newest stations in the system? Is it to make it look good as a transfer point to new service?
Good question.

The 'old' version of this station (before all the work started on it) had basically a mirror image of the lex entrance on the 3rd ave. end. The only thing missing was tiling, escalators and steps from a mezzanine one level up to the street. Everything was in place structurally. There's a big vent room in there too.

Then they started this round of work and have ripped a huge hole through this area. I'm not sure why that was done... maybe for taking out and putting in work equipment?

Looked like there's a few new stairs being added from uptown to downtown platforms, I guess that makes sense.
 #1316695  by railfan365

I expect that we all know by now that Phase II of the SAS is in th e 2014+2019 Capitol Buget, which is only partially funded. It has been said that IF the financing materializes, then contruction on Phase II will begin in 2019. Does anyone have any idea to how long Phase II will take to complete if that happens? My own sense of things tells me that of work will actually start in 2018, that completion will be in 2028 or 2029.
 #1319975  by MNCRR9000

http://www.myfoxny.com/story/28252912/s ... ayed-again" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NEW YORK (MYFOXNY) -
The already long-delayed and over-budget Second Avenue subway line could be in for more delays.

For Steve Nikolakakos, the owner of Gracie's Diner on 86th Street, the work-in-progress that is the Second Avenue subway has at times been a costly one. The solace was that the first section is expected to be completed at the end of 2016.

But now the MTA chairman says the money may not be there to finish the entire project. The MTA's five-year capital plan has a $15 billion budget gap. Currently, the Second Avenue subway is only funded for about 30 blocks: from 63rd Street up to 96th Street. If Albany fails to fill the gap, the extension north from 96th Street to 125th Street would be sacrificed along with hopes to extend it south to Lower Manhattan.
 #1323552  by Riverduckexpress

There's nothing in that area yet.

Current plans for Phase 2 would have the station stretching from in-between Lex Av and 3 Av to almost Park Av. The tail tracks are supposed to extend to around 525 feet west of 5th Av, which is about midblock between 5th Av and Malcolm X Blvd.
 #1339396  by Kurt

As of Monday, July 13, 2015 they have begun testing the air conditioning at Lexington/63 Street. Platforms were noticeably cooler than the rest of the station
 #1341767  by railfan365

Possibly under the "Ask a stupid question" heading:

With completion of Phase I still a year and a half to two years away, and commencement of Phase II construction reportedly desired for 2019 and subject to MTA successfully fighting with the governor for a large part of the money to pay for it, is anything in the works regarding specific plans for Phase III to be built? Or is it still that we get Phase I, and MAYBE Phase II while having it go south of 63rd Street stays on the wish list for another 4 generations?