Railroad Forums 

• Sebago Lake Scenic Railroad?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1484651  by b&m 1566

Is there a chance that we could see a scenic rail
road operating along this section of the Mountain Division? Would the state of Maine be interested in leasing the line to a 501(c)(3) charitable organization similar to Downeast Scenic? Would a railroad be beneficial to the area?
 #1484863  by b&m 1566

Otto, I was waiting for your kind hearted reply, you never let me down. I don't know the area at all, I've never even seen the lake in person, I just got stuck in a 3 way conversation a little while back (did more listening than talking). The conversation started out over boating and ventured out from there, I asked if there were other things to do around the lake, one mentioned a bike trail the other mentioned a train (not sure if he was think of the same lake). Either way when the comment was made it just turned some gears in my head and got me wondering.
 #1484943  by Mikejf

Unfortunately, not a lot of scenery along there. A nostalgic ride for sure, and some things to look at (gets close to the Saco River West of Sebago). Maybe a Windham to Baldwin/Hiram run, but not sure how much patronage you would get.
 #1485148  by Mikejf

The fenced in area is near Sebago Lake. It is the area where Portland Water District draws water from, so have fenced everything off to protect the resource. They do not own the rail corridor, so must have gotten permission from the State to block it.
 #1485164  by p42thedowneaster

Negative. The fenced in ROW is a section of the "main" sub division itself.

I notice on the Google maps that on the south end of the lake there is a short passing siding, maybe 4 passenger cars long. South east of this location the row shares a path with a paved bike trail. Heading north west from the siding, the track runs along the lake and through a short causeway. Before long the track heads off into the woods.

I'm not sure there is enough business in the area to support the operation....but if I were to try, I would only restore about 5 miles of track likely from the siding to the north west.
 #1485186  by eustis22

Certainly looks like it'd be scenic enough for a shortline tourist (of which Sebago contains multitudes) run. How long are the Silver Lake. Wolfeboro RRs?
 #1485448  by b&m 1566

Mikejf wrote:Unfortunately, not a lot of scenery along there. A nostalgic ride for sure, and some things to look at (gets close to the Saco River West of Sebago). Maybe a Windham to Baldwin/Hiram run, but not sure how much patronage you would get.
I'm not sure scenery is as important, as one would think (Downeast Scenic Railroad and Hobo Railroad are perfect examples... they don't have any). What I think you do need on top of a big tourist draw (like the White Mountains and Mt. Desert Island), you need a center with foot & vehicle traffic, both of which Lincoln, NH and Ellsworth, ME have.
 #1485520  by Mikejf

I disagree. Hobo has great views of the river, and Downeast has the big swamp they cross that has a wide variety of birds living in it.
 #1485527  by elecuyer

eustis22 wrote:How long are the Silver Lake. Wolfeboro RRs?
Probably not a good example, considering both are now defunct.

Personally, I think it would be better to support what operations we already have by riding, volunteering and contributing. That way we don't add to the aforementioned list.
 #1485531  by p42thedowneaster

What about a dinner train. One could team up with a popular restaurant and split the revenue.

The views would be decent along the lake, but I don't know where the train would be based. It looks to me like the land for the old station and parking was probably donated or sold to become the boat launch.
 #1485658  by eustis22

>Probably not a good example, considering both are now defunct.

There are two pond crossings, a lake causeway and some trackside lakeshore. I would qualify that as "scenic". Seems a shortline based in Richville might earn some $$$. Eh, well.