Railroad Forums 

• Seashore Trolley Museum Discussion

• General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.
General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.

Moderators: rob216, Miketherailfan

#900149  by 3rdrail

Wasn't that car used in another film production also ? I think that it might have been a PBS mini-series called "The Best of Families". I know that a Seashore car was used. I'm just not sure if it was 396. (Note to Seashore: Peddle the 396 to Hollywood for a 1916 Summer Street Bridge Wreck story. 396 is the 393's (involved in the wreck) exact duplicate. Let them pay for a nice make-over of the car plus a barn or two, bring it to Boston where we'll find some nice unused Southie track to push it around with a mule. Have them hire me as the wreck consultant, location spotter, and love interest with Lena Olin.)
 #900176  by ck4049

Tom6921 wrote:SHould I come in July, besides TTC 2890, Edmonton trolley bus 125, HSR 518203, MBTA 3424 and MBTA 0622/0623, how accessable are the cars Seashore acquired from the Trolleyville collection to the general public?
The Rapid car, 113, is usually easily viewed. The MBTA LRV 3424 is always in sight along with the 0622/0623 over by the Highwood Barn. The TCC Peter Witt 2890, well I havent seen that one in awhile;). The Edmonton Trolleybus 125 is at the back of the parking lot and the 518203 is usually right at the front entrance on the road for members that branches to the left!
Last edited by ck4049 on Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #900232  by octr202

Tom - Where some of these cars might be once the museum opens most likely isn't even known at this point. During April/May a lot of shifting work goes on as we rotate from winter storage to summer operations mode. Most of the cars in question were fairly accessible as of the end of the season, although I think that the Cleveland trailer may be tarped for storage. You'd be best to ask closer to July, but even better, as long as the vehicles are safely accessible even in non-public areas, we can usually accommodate special visits to go see them (with the completion of the appropriate waiver). You've probably figured out that there are several of us on here that are active volunteers, and we're happy to assist with helping visitors find items of special interest in the collection. I'm sure we'll all be reading this forum when it gets closer to your planned visit, so let us know when you plan to visit.

As for the TTC Peter Witt, I think (last I can remember) it was in Highwood. The shop trucks that it's on make it very difficult to move, so I know that when Highwood was emptied in 2009 for repairs it didn't stray far from the barn, and should be back in there now. Last I remember is was near the middle of track 2.
 #900236  by octr202

3rdrail wrote:Wasn't that car used in another film production also ? I think that it might have been a PBS mini-series called "The Best of Families". I know that a Seashore car was used. I'm just not sure if it was 396. (Note to Seashore: Peddle the 396 to Hollywood for a 1916 Summer Street Bridge Wreck story. 396 is the 393's (involved in the wreck) exact duplicate. Let them pay for a nice make-over of the car plus a barn or two, bring it to Boston where we'll find some nice unused Southie track to push it around with a mule. Have them hire me as the wreck consultant, location spotter, and love interest with Lena Olin.)
Yup, also 396. See: http://trolleymuseum.org/exhibits/vehicle/00396SMA.php

While I'm plugging our webmaster's fine handiwork, you can also link there to the 2004 PDF of the Curatorial Report on the car, which contains a lot of detail on it's background (especially its film and TV career).
 #900251  by 3rdrail

Thanks for that, 202. A lot of info there. It seems as if the car has been worked and re-worked countless times. Perhaps a final structural analysis should be done to determine what, if anything, has been applied temporarily (for it's film career) and what needs replacement due to corrosion, etc. It's a jewel and should be kept up. I'm slightly confused about it's maroon, supposedly "correct" color band. It appears as if it was a Division 2 car, which color code was lemon yellow (??) Lena has been notified and is anxiously awaiting.
 #910899  by citystation1848

Greetings Everyone,

I'd like to announce Seashore's new fundraising event for this year... a night photo shoot!

Night Photo Shoot
Saturday, June 4, 2011
7:00 pm - 11:00 pm

Admission: $20.00 per person, advance registration required. Spots are limited.
More Information: Night Photo Shoot

Photography buffs, this event is for you. Enjoy an evening at the Seashore Trolley Museum taking night shots of various scenes we'll be setting up around the museum campus and the railway for both still and motion shots.

Matt
 #911559  by MBTA3247

Cool. :)

Any discounts for members and/or whoever's going to be operating the cars that night?
 #911596  by citystation1848

Everyone that'll be taking photos, the admission is at $20.00. By offering freebies and discounts kind of defeats the purpose of running a fundraiser.

Volunteers that are working for the event get in free of course.
 #913202  by 3rdrail

Groovy, baby ! :-)

Can we bring our dog ?
 #913292  by CRail

Only service animals are allowed on property. Besides, we also prohibit 3rdrail for safety reasons. I guess you're out of luck :wink:
 #913303  by 3rdrail

Well, as far as my dog is concerned, would it fly if I told you that he was an official service animal providing official tripod carrying service ? He's got the jacket that says "Tripod Dog" and everything ! As far as the 3rdrail is concerned, I promise to wear my official "Panto-cap", thus, no lives would be put in danger. (Between you and me, I just run under a clothesline anyway.) :-(
 #919182  by StevieC48

Derek I could be wrong but I am not sure if they are running service that night or just setting up the cars for shots.FYI
 #923638  by octr202

It does (NJT 5) but I'm told by people in the know that its in excellent shape. It's very "modernized" inside, as the seats throughout the car are definately from the NJT era.

Should it run easily, it will cause an interesting choice to be made - repaint as it (NJT) and restore it as it's last phase of its life for now, or wait until it can be fully backdated to an earlier appearance.