Railroad Forums 

• Seashore Trolley Museum Boston Day June 19, 2010 (Saturday)

• General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.
General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.

Moderators: rob216, Miketherailfan

#778773  by ck4049

I going to become a Motorman on March 20th, thats when the Saturday class is. Wish me luck, hopefully I can operate Boston trains for Boston Day. I dont want to go any farther off topic here. :-D
 #778800  by MBTA3247

ck4049 wrote:I going to become a Motorman on March 20th, thats when the Saturday class is. Wish me luck, hopefully I can operate Boston trains for Boston Day. I dont want to go any farther off topic here. :-D
Actually, you'll become a trainee motorman that day. :wink: When you actually qualify as a motorman depends on when both you and the instructors think you're ready and you pass the road test. It's certainly not impossible to do between when the museum opens for the season and June 19, and I wish you luck doing so, but do not be disappointed if it takes you a few months to qualify. One other caveat is that Level 1 training only qualifies you to run streetcars.
 #780092  by tabslate

5821 should be up and running with all 4 motors by boston day, the motor is currently up at AC Electric and we have instucted them that we would like to have it back before then. It should be arriving back at seashore shortly, we did just get back the motor to Cleveland 1227 this week, so hopefully the type 5 will be next to arrive. When it shows up I will try to post it here.
 #780099  by GP40MC 1116

tabslate wrote:5821 should be up and running with all 4 motors by boston day, the motor is currently up at AC Electric and we have instucted them that we would like to have it back before then. It should be arriving back at seashore shortly, we did just get back the motor to Cleveland 1227 this week, so hopefully the type 5 will be next to arrive. When it shows up I will try to post it here.
I am surprised but glad to hear this information if it is true. Last I just read in the latest DISPATCH, the funds for 5821 were about $ 200 short as to what the museum already had in the fund.
 #781354  by Disney Guy

ck4049 wrote:I going to become a Motorman on March 20th, thats when the Saturday class is. Wish me luck, hopefully I can operate Boston trains for Boston Day. I dont want to go any farther off topic here. :-D
Level 1 qualification is for standard controller (notches to full series and then notches to full parallel) and straight air brake (release, lap, apply). Boston El #5821 is in this category. A small amount of added instruction gets you on Eastern Mass. #4387; it has a 3 position controller: hold first notch for switching, automatic notching to full series, automatic notching to full parallel. Unfortunately it has been out of service for several years now.
Train air brake is a more advanced qualification.
Many cars have their own specific qualifications with road tests. Examples include NYC 3'rd Avenue Rwy. #631 (foot air brake), PCC cars, City of Manchester (hand brake), Wheeling WV (I forget the number) (unusual deadman switch on controller handle). #631 has been used so frequently that many Level 1 operators get qualified on it.
 #784571  by GP40MC 1116

Disney Guy wrote:
Level 1 qualification is for standard controller (notches to full series and then notches to full parallel) and straight air brake (release, lap, apply). Boston El #5821 is in this category. A small amount of added instruction gets you on Eastern Mass. #4387; it has a 3 position controller: hold first notch for switching, automatic notching to full series, automatic notching to full parallel. Unfortunately it has been out of service for several years now.
Train air brake is a more advanced qualification.
Many cars have their own specific qualifications with road tests. Examples include NYC 3'rd Avenue Rwy. #631 (foot air brake), PCC cars, City of Manchester (hand brake), Wheeling WV (I forget the number) (unusual deadman switch on controller handle). #631 has been used so frequently that many Level 1 operators get qualified on it.
In my 4 years of operating at Seashore I have yet to touch 5821, 4387 :(

631 was a "regular" for service daily it seemed until it could go no further and was taken OOS last season. I do not know if 631 will be back in service this year....
 #784964  by Otto Vondrak

ck4049 wrote:The Seashore Trolley Museum is planning on doing a Boston Day at the museum on June 19, 2010. We plan on running streetcars, rapid transit sets, buses, and trackless trolleys from the Boston, MA area. Is anyone interested???
Folks, remember to support your local preservation group and visit Seashore Trolley Museum on June 19. In fact, visit as often as you can. Your support is what keeps these organizations going. If you can sign up to be a volunteer, all the better.

Let's try to keep this thread limited to the discussion of activities for "Boston Day," and if you have specific questions about the operations and activities of the museum, you can start a new thread or you can visit this existing thread:

http://railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=14846

-otto-
 #788447  by CRail

ck4049 wrote:We are planning on having a Town House Shop tour for Boston Day. :-D
This is a good idea considering there are currently 4 cars from the Boston region in the shop. Progress can be shown on 6131 as well as plans for its sister 6270. Plus continuing work on the Osgood Bradley car (Eastern Mass 7005 / Boston Elevated 4400) and Bay State 4175.
 #788659  by StevieC48

ck4049 wrote:We are planning on having a Town House Shop tour for Boston Day. :-D
You might want to get ALINE69 (Douggie Carrier) to do a tour, hands down he is great at it.
 #788796  by sery2831

I should mention here that any shop tours other than from the public areas of the shop will require people to purchase a membership before being able to participate.
 #788813  by sixflagscoasters

^Why would we need to be a member to tour the off public path areas?

I remember the "RR.net Day" a few years ago, and all participating in that were able to get tours of all the buildings and areas not open to the public, and you were not required to be a member of Seashore. But I guess you could say you needed to be a "member" of RR.NET, but your "guests"(non RR.NET members) were allowed to join you on the tour.

I am not saying that I would not want to become a member, but I am just say that for this one time (or once a year) event that people who are not members should be able to go on tours of the areas not open to the public. That would be something special to see once a year, or once every few years or so.