Railroad Forums 

• Seashore Trolley Museum Boston Day June 19, 2010 (Saturday)

• General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.
General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.

Moderators: rob216, Miketherailfan

#764637  by octr202

396 runs enough to shift, but I think it was limping on its moves this fall during the Highwood shuffle. Must have some motor(s) cut out (can't remember if its a 2 or 4 motor car).
 #764649  by MBTA3247

If P601 isn't considered inoperable, it should be. I know from first hand experience that the controllers on it are totally shot (point? what points?).
 #764665  by Type7trolley

I think it's a good idea. It would be nice to have another day to see and ride any Boston equipment (other than the usual trolleys) out besides transit day, and even then they have to share the spotlight with all sorts of equipment from other cities.
 #764690  by ck4049

MBTA3247 wrote:Here's a list of the Boston cars that I know the conditions of:

01000/0210: operable

0719: operable

5821: currently can limp along well enough to do a photo runby through the loop. If the damaged motor is repaired in time, then it should be operable

various Type 3 plows: some operable (including 5106), some not

3424: not operable, needs poles and an inspection

#4 EBT cars: should be operable if poles are installed

396: does anyone know if this still runs? If not, it should at least be pulled out of Riverside for display

PCCs: none are operable, but one or two look presentable enough to be pulled out for display

3283: IIRC the controllers are shot and it's been removed from operation

To my knowledge, none of the other Boston cars at Seashore are operable, though I could be wrong.
0719, cant wait too see it again! It is operable but I dont know if it will run.
Last edited by ck4049 on Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 #764698  by CRail

MBTA3247 wrote:5821: currently can limp along well enough to do a photo runby through the loop. If the damaged motor is repaired in time, then it should be operable
5821 does not need to limp along, the car runs fine on 2 motors. This is not done in regular service because doing so would be harmful to the working motors long term. This car, like 31, can be put into passenger service for special events such as this one.

Also, Eastern Mass. 4387 is out of service for the same reason as 5821, and its motor has been sent out. I'm not sure what the time frame is for that car but the motor may be back by then.
MBTA3247 wrote:If P601 isn't considered inoperable, it should be. I know from first hand experience that the controllers on it are totally shot (point? what points?).
This doesn't mean that the controller is shot, it just needs to be serviced.

Other cars...
0997-01000 (I'm not sure of 0997's status, but It has run in the past couple years, so I'm sure if there's anything wrong with it, it's not major)
01450-01455 (need poles and a paint job, this could be done by June)
Others?

3424 is not likely to run but it will hopefully be operable. It could be lit up and running, maybe a nice cool place to sit and relax. :wink:

Don't forget about our 6 Trackless Trolleys (8361, 8450?, 4006 [not on property, but it will be by then], 4013, 4028, and 4049), 3 fishbows (6069, 6169, and one in Eastern Mass. colors that I don't remember the number of), 2 flyers (9138 and 9170), 2 RTSs (8400 and 8903) and I'm probably forgetting others. There are some old pre-MBTA gas buses too but I'm not extremely knowledgeable in that department (whites, macs, etc).

Whatever the case may be, we'll have PLENTY of stuff to run, and we have PLENTY of time to get stuff ready. Some of this stuff will require hands though, so If anyone is interested in getting involved and helping they are encouraged to sign up and show up! Feel free to contact myself or John for more info on doing so, or visit the Museum to join.
ck4049 wrote:Actually, 0719 doesnt have any seating available for our visitors. It is operable but I dont know if it will run.
0719 needs to be cleaned out, it most certainly has seats!
 #764820  by MBTA3247

I was under the impression that 01450-01455 needed a lot more than poles to be made operable again.
 #764901  by CRail

Derek,
That is incorrect, they run if they're bugged.
 #764926  by StevieC48

Yea tey will go far the length of the bug, also the batteries might need repacing, unless they were properly disconected and stored properly. :wink:
 #765675  by ck4049

octr202 wrote:396 runs enough to shift, but I think it was limping on its moves this fall during the Highwood shuffle. Must have some motor(s) cut out (can't remember if its a 2 or 4 motor car).
The car is now listed as a shop restoration project.
 #765730  by RailBus63

PCCs: none are operable, but one or two look presentable enough to be pulled out for display
That's a shame - I'm really surprised that at least one PCC isn't fully operational as the representative of a major era in Boston transit.
 #765757  by BigUglyCat

RailBus63 wrote:

That's a shame - I'm really surprised that at least one PCC isn't fully operational as the representative of a major era in Boston transit.
It's disappointing, yes, but it's hardly surprising. Seashore does not have an unlimited budget, quite the reverse. I believe they are doing the best they can with the resources that they have.
 #765827  by ck4049

I am starting to wonder about what had happened to PCC No. 3127. I last saw it on Transit Day 2008 in the South Boston Carbarn. :(
 #765840  by ck4049

CRail wrote:
MBTA3247 wrote:5821: currently can limp along well enough to do a photo runby through the loop. If the damaged motor is repaired in time, then it should be operable
5821 does not need to limp along, the car runs fine on 2 motors. This is not done in regular service because doing so would be harmful to the working motors long term. This car, like 31, can be put into passenger service for special events such as this one.

Also, Eastern Mass. 4387 is out of service for the same reason as 5821, and its motor has been sent out. I'm not sure what the time frame is for that car but the motor may be back by then.
MBTA3247 wrote:If P601 isn't considered inoperable, it should be. I know from first hand experience that the controllers on it are totally shot (point? what points?).
This doesn't mean that the controller is shot, it just needs to be serviced.

Other cars...
0997-01000 (I'm not sure of 0997's status, but It has run in the past couple years, so I'm sure if there's anything wrong with it, it's not major)
01450-01455 (need poles and a paint job, this could be done by June)
Others?

3424 is not likely to run but it will hopefully be operable. It could be lit up and running, maybe a nice cool place to sit and relax. :wink:

Don't forget about our 6 Trackless Trolleys (8361, 8450?, 4006 [not on property, but it will be by then], 4013, 4028, and 4049), 3 fishbows (6069, 6169, and one in Eastern Mass. colors that I don't remember the number of), 2 flyers (9138 and 9170), 2 RTSs (8400 and 8903) and I'm probably forgetting others. There are some old pre-MBTA gas buses too but I'm not extremely knowledgeable in that department (whites, macs, etc).

Whatever the case may be, we'll have PLENTY of stuff to run, and we have PLENTY of time to get stuff ready. Some of this stuff will require hands though, so If anyone is interested in getting involved and helping they are encouraged to sign up and show up! Feel free to contact myself or John for more info on doing so, or visit the Museum to join.
ck4049 wrote:Actually, 0719 doesnt have any seating available for our visitors. It is operable but I dont know if it will run.
0719 needs to be cleaned out, it most certainly has seats!
The trackless that you are referring to is 8490 and that coach is stored in the far back area of the Central Barn. It will not be out for at least another three years.

I should be up in April doing work in the Bus and Rapid Transit departments on the Boston equipment to get stuff ready for the big day. And I will also go to the Motorman/Conductor training to get my first qualification! Wish me luck!
 #765991  by CRail

ck4049 wrote:It will not be out for at least another three years.
Where are you getting your information? It doesn't take 3 years to get a bus pulled out of central. The whole reason it's in central is because the body is in pretty good shape. The Johnstown coach 713 is in Shop 1, and that coach runs. If 8490 had a good work crew on it it could be up and running within a year or so, depending on the work that it needs, and the money available for it. If there is no particular interest in it, it could be stored for longer periods of time.

In either case, it would take a maximum of only a few hours to shift around central to have it pulled out and put on display.

Your enthusiasm is appreciated but you need to stop declaring things you don't know about.