Railroad Forums 

• Searching for NYC/PC/CR 2882 (GRR 28) - U30B

• Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.
Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.

Moderators: MEC407, AMTK84

#330803  by scottychaos

Does anyone know where this U30B is hiding?

she was originally New York Central 2882.
then Penn Central and Conrail 2882.
then Gettysburg #28.
http://www.trainnet.org/Libraries/Lib003/CPRICE01.JPG

Its after her Gettysburg career that she becomes "lost"..

I have a reference that says she should currently be "South Central Florida Express" # 9016.
however I can find no referece to a U30B on the SCF.
and they do have a #9016, but its a GP11:
http://naphotos.nerail.org/showpic/?200 ... 915916.jpg

anyone seen this U-boat?
im looking for her for the new NYC/PRR/PC survivor list:
http://gold.mylargescale.com/scottychao ... rkcentral/

thanks,
Scot

#330865  by GOLDEN-ARM

Scot, the U-Boat WAS on the SCFE, back in 1993. I was on that railroad, when she was sold. Trying to determine, if it ended up in Mexico, or on a Rail-Link property. The sale of that loco, returned the SCFE to it's all EMD roster. BTW, it had major problems, of an electrical nature, that resulted in it's being stored dead, nearly the entire time, on the property there. It was sold, in early 1994. Hope that clears that up, and I do have some pics of it, although they are in Florida, and I'm still out west. Regards

#330935  by scottychaos

thanks GA..
if it was in bad shape back in 1993, the odds of its survival today are probably quite slim.. :(

I will move it to the "unknown" file..

thanks,
Scot
 #332362  by SOU2645

Did become SCFE 9016 for a short time. It was sold to Georgia Central as their second 1001 in 1993-94. Traded to Helm for the ex NS U23B's that dominate their roster today. Scrapped by Progress Rail (waycross recyclers) in 1996. It is long gone.
Larry

#332717  by GOLDEN-ARM

I have to look in my Timebook, and at my pictures, but while on the M&B late last year, I ran a couple of "big" 4 axle GE's (U-Boats), from the GC (a Rail Link property), and I believe one was the 1001. I'm not sure if this means it's the "third" 1001, but I will look, when I get to work, and see what's listed for loco number, in my Timebook. That particular loco, along with it's sister unit, WERE sold to a party, in Mexico, for use as rebuilding fodder, or scrapping. This was in January, 2006. I was with the TM, as the locos were being hauled away, and I asked him why we didn't save the 5 chime horns, and replace a set of "honkers", on one of the other junkers we had there. He tried to get them, but a call to the GM squashed that plan. (need to just do stuff like that, not ask..... :( ) They were a sweet set of horns, ex-Southern, with the perfect set of chords........... :-D The GE's were not worth using, and we didn't enjoy running with the side underfloor compartment door removed, so the conductor could hang off the left front step, and attempt to reset the power circuit reset button, while attempting to run between Meridian and Montgomery. The loco would drop it's load, any time the amps went over 600, which was anytime you went over the second notch. Management thought this was easier, than actually repairing the defective card, under the catwalk. :P

(edit for dates & spelling)
Last edited by GOLDEN-ARM on Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

#333115  by SOU2645

Those were GC 1007 (U30B ex C&O) and 1012 the last U33B in the US. If that unit gets scrapped it will be a tragedy.
Larry

#333231  by GOLDEN-ARM

It was my understanding, that wherever they went, it was for parting out, and not for retuning to service. Don't know what made it different, but that 1012 was a bouncy SOB, riding along the 90 pound stick rail, on the M&B. It will not be missed, by anyone on that property. (nor was it missed, from the roster of the GC, who gladly sent them to "be used" on the sister road, of the M&B) Any idea on the heritage, of the 1012?

FYI: The last time I ran the 1007, was 1-14-06, on a work train. The last time I ran the 1012, was on 1-08-06 on the Selma Local. I ran both of them, Dead In Consist, in a train that went west, on 1-21-06. Power for that train was the KCS 603,643 CSXT 8350, CEFX 3125 and the MRL 310. This was the trip, that took them to interchange, on the KCS, and off our roster. The 1012 was not used after 1-10-06, and the 1007 made it until a couple of days, before being sold. :-D

#334152  by MEC407

Hey G-A, your mention of the bouncy U30B reminds me of something I meant to ask you ages ago:

When you were working for Guilford and were running U18Bs between Northern Maine Junction and Mattawamkeag, what were the track conditions like at that time, and how was the ride quality of the U18Bs? They rode on EMD trucks traded in from geeps and F's and other first generation power. I've always been curious about how they rode. The guy I spoke with at the Niagara & Western New York railroad, which leased two of them along with an ex-MEC GP7, said the U18Bs rode much smoother than the GP7 did... which I thought was interesting, considering they were all using basically the same trucks. But it's possible the GP7 was in need of a truck rebuild or new springs or something.

Thanks for any info. :-D

#334305  by GOLDEN-ARM

I can tell you one thing I will always remember, about the MEC, and the 404 in particular. We were cabbed to Mattawaumkeag one morning, to get a train to run to Bangor. It was late March, and the ground was starting to thaw. The ground isn't really "ground", but peat, which apparantly only works for building railroad on, when it's frozen. We got our warrants when we left Bangor, and the train was at the south end of the yard. No restrictions were noted, other than a few we already had, from previous days. Approaching Passadumkeag at track speed, we hit a low joint, that had sunk into the peat, and although the MW guys were aware of it, the DS wasn't. It was SUPPOSED to be 5 mph, "walking the train" over it. At track speed, the loco suddenly rolled to the left, and then vaulted into the air. I plugged it, and we held on, thinking we were going to roll, into the river. After stopping, we walked the train, to assess the damage. Imagine the suprise, when we made it back to the crossing, with all wheels still on the rail. The vertical deviation, in the joint, was over 12 inches, in the span of a total of 5 ties.That 404 threw us out of the seats, slammed up and down so violently, we were SURE we were on the ground. With the river less than 20 feet away, and flowing with ice, we thought it was over. The MW guys came out with wedges, and "shimmed" the low spot, under the 5 ties, waiting for the ground to thaw, so it could be tamped properly. (that's how they deal with low joints, be nailing wedges on top of the ties and nailing in a very long screwspike to hold the plate on top of it, until the ground thaws.) THAT was the only time I was sure we were on the ground, and actually weren't. The Geep 38 trailing (256?) didn't fare as well, with springs being shattered, in the front truck, which was the trailing end of the loco. Other than that, and spending 4 hours a day, sleeping soundly in it, while waiting to make the meet, at Enfield, it is/was just another U-Boat Junker!! (sorry, I couldn't resist :P ) Actually, for such a little engine, they were actually good pullers, and they would accelerate as quickly as the Geeps, which was a plus, when we had to block the train, heading back to Bangor. When we lost the Geep, we got the 407, but you already know about that. Regards :-D The only other thing that comes to mind, was our 'fondness" of putting christmas tree ornaments on the MEC pinetrees, with grease pencils, or nail polish. Some locos looked real cool, with a full set of ornaments, a star, and simulated strings of lights. Ole' Mellonhead probably wasn't amused, at that, or at the logo we used to draw on all of his boxcars, that read "My car, property of Mellonhead" along with a goofy, smilie face. Those grease pencils, and lumber crayons, came in mighty handy, while working your train, in the yard.......... :wink:

#334473  by MEC407

Great story! Thanks for sharing and for humoring me. :-D