Railroad Forums 

• Searching for anyone who knew John Lane?

• Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.
Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

#555059  by techman65

Good morning folks!
My dad worked for the DL&W / Erie Lacawanna Railroad for almost fifty years until his passing in 1968.
Some of my fondest memories are of his taking me down to the roundhouse (where he worked as an "engine dispatcher") at the Hoboken/Jersey City yards.
Unfortunetly I have very little memorabillia from his time on the railroad to remember him by.
I am looking for advice on how to find either some "form" or other item that might have his name attached. (Such as an engine dispatchers form,etc?) Also...is there anyone out there on this forum who might remember my dad? His name was John Lane.
Anyway...I just would like to find some memories from my dad's long career with the Lackawanna to pass onto my children as well as to have in his memory!
Thanks in advance for any help you might provide in this search!
Best to you all!
Tom Lane :-D
 #555067  by henry6

I suggest further posting on the NJT forum and maybe NJ Railfan forum, too. Don't know if there is a website or address for the Lackawanna, Erie, or Erie Lackawanna Veterans Association but you might Google them and ask there, too. Don't know where you are geographically, but you might ask someone around NJT for information about getting hold of their unions which might have records, too. Again, geographically speaking, local National Railway Historical Society chapter or Railway and Lcomotive Historical Society chapter might be of help especially if you are in the NYC area. Good Luck.

I was just looking at the ELHS web page and copied this for you:

Special Note About Former Railroad Employee Records: The Erie Lackawanna Historical Society does not have access to or maintain in its Archives employee records from the DL&W, Erie or Erie Lackawanna. Two web sites that might prove useful to those in search of employee records are the U.S. Railroad Retirement Board web site and for former Erie Railroad employees and a possible lead for former DL&W employees, Jim Sponholz's web site pages dedicated to helping find former railroad employee records.