Railroad Forums 

• SD80ACe ?

• Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.
Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#949464  by CPM500

Yes, there will be an SD80ACe (20-710), initially destined for India and perhaps to a SA railroad near you.
 #949547  by Fan Railer

CPM500 wrote:Yes, there will be an SD80ACe (20-710), initially destined for India and perhaps to a SA railroad near you.
You know, a source would be nice...
 #949569  by MEC407

I've heard about the 20-710 being used in a new locomotive for India, but I didn't think they're calling the locomotive an SD80ACe... or are they?
 #974967  by Fan Railer

MEC407 wrote:I've heard about the 20-710 being used in a new locomotive for India, but I didn't think they're calling the locomotive an SD80ACe... or are they?
no, not to my knowledge, although i guess you can call it that, since it would meet new emissions standards and be controlled by the EM2000. they're currently known as the WDG-5
 #999860  by MEC407

Well I'll be darned! It exists!
 #999866  by sullivan1985

MEC407 wrote:Well I'll be darned! It exists!
Looks legit too. 10-door hood and a much larger radiator that looks like it has at least 3 fans compared to the SD70ACe with its 8-door hood and 2-fan radiator.
 #1000156  by Rihel

Dear friends, the SD80ACe if a fact. Recently I received official information from EMD, here is some information that appears on the brochure:

SD80ACe Benefits

• Features the highly reliable and fuel efficient 710 Series
engine with approximately 10,000 operating worldwide
• Meets AAR Specification S-580 crashworthiness standards
• Reliable 710 Series engine - 20 cylinder, two stroke,
turbocharged
- Equipped with EPA Tier 1 emissions hardware
- Operates on B20 (concentrations up to 20%
B100 biofuel)
- Tuned for maximum fuel efficiency
• Operates in all weather and tropical climate up to 50°C
capabilities
- Tropical roof on cabin to minimize heat transfer
- Engine cooling system supports site conditions
- Inverter driven accessories for fuel economy
• Provides advanced diagnostics and predictive health
capabilities
• Sets standards with a 184-day maintenance interval
• Provides 2 for 3 unit replacement
• Offers optional high adhesion package
• Offers optional Intellitrain™ remote monitoring and
diagnostic services

EM2000™ Microprocessor
Control System

• Excitation and load control
• Adhesion control
• Engine control
• Diagnostic system
• Archived unit history data

SD80ACe Technical Details

Locomotive Traction System AC Traction
Diesel Engine 20-710G3C-ES
Number of Axles 6
Locomotive Height 4,816 mm
Length over Couplers 23,317 mm
Traction Horsepower 3,952 kW = 5, 297.5871 H.P.
Maximum Speed 113 kph
Starting Tractive Effort 850 kN
Dynamic Braking Effort 467 kN
Fuel Capacity (useable) 18,549 liters
Maintenance Interval 184 days
Nominal Weight 196 tonnes
Maximum Axle Load 32.7 tonnes
Track Gauge 1,600 mm

Optional 8-Axle configuration
Track Gauges between 1,000 mm - 1,676 mm
Maximum Axle Loads between 25.0 - 27.5 tonnes

Accordingly with the literature, this locomotives are not manufactured for the US or North American market (Canada-U.S.-Mexico) because this new products don't even reach the TIER 2 level and I supose this is the reazon that we are not going to see them in Canada-US or Mexico.

My regards.

Ricardo Hernández-Lecanda
Nogales, Sonora México.
 #1000205  by JayBee

Rihel wrote:Dear friends, the SD80ACe if a fact. Recently I received official information from EMD, here is some information that appears on the brochure:

Accordingly with the literature, this locomotives are not manufactured for the US or North American market (Canada-U.S.-Mexico) because this new products don't even reach the TIER 2 level and I supose this is the reazon that we are not going to see them in Canada-US or Mexico.

My regards.

Ricardo Hernández-Lecanda
Nogales, Sonora México.
Nothing prohibits the locomotive from being built for any Canadian Railroad other than CP or CN. There are no Canadian laws covering locomotive emissions, only an agreement between Environment Canada, CP and CN saying that when either company buys new locomotives, they will meet current US emissions standards. The Quebec Cartier mining railway bought AC4400CWs in 2010 even though they did not meet Tier 2 US standards.
 #1000220  by MEC407

Somehow I doubt it would take much extra effort or expense to make a Tier 2 version of this locomotive if a U.S. railroad wanted to buy some. I don't think there's anything unique to the 20-710 that would make Tier 2 more challenging than it is for the 16-710.
 #1000299  by Mr.S

If this hasn't been mentioned or posted already. It looks similar to the SD89,SD90 and the current SD70 series, that I have seen pictures of from the loconotes group.. Not to forget CR -CONRAIL- had some 710 5,000 H.P. SD80MAC's roaming their system before the break up of CONRAIL..
Secondly wasn't there a time in the 1990's that EMD stated that there weren't going to produce SD70's or higher horsepower locomotives?Weren't the SD80MAC's 16 cylinder.
 #1000397  by Jtgshu

MEC407 wrote:Somehow I doubt it would take much extra effort or expense to make a Tier 2 version of this locomotive if a U.S. railroad wanted to buy some. I don't think there's anything unique to the 20-710 that would make Tier 2 more challenging than it is for the 16-710.
The "power products" section of EMDs website says that "all 710 engines are certified for EPA Tier 2 and surpass IMO Tier 2 standards"

I think its safe to say that that would include the V20 version as well.

So in theory a SD80ACe should be able to be sold in the US if there was a buyer interested. Maybe now that there is one built, there might be an interest....maybe NS would like companions for their SD80MACs? :) that'd be cool!
 #1000704  by JayBee

Jtgshu wrote:
MEC407 wrote:Somehow I doubt it would take much extra effort or expense to make a Tier 2 version of this locomotive if a U.S. railroad wanted to buy some. I don't think there's anything unique to the 20-710 that would make Tier 2 more challenging than it is for the 16-710.
The "power products" section of EMDs website says that "all 710 engines are certified for EPA Tier 2 and surpass IMO Tier 2 standards"

I think its safe to say that that would include the V20 version as well.

So in theory a SD80ACe should be able to be sold in the US if there was a buyer interested. Maybe now that there is one built, there might be an interest....maybe NS would like companions for their SD80MACs? :) that'd be cool!
Probably need an even bigger radiator (longer). and of course now it would have to meet Tier 3.
 #1000850  by MEC407

Here is a nice overhead shot of two SD80ACes soon to be painted:

Photo by Paul Cordingley: http://www.railpictures.ca/main-page/al ... r-painting