Railroad Forums 

• SD70M

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#86600  by TerryC

Why did Union Pacific purchase SD70Ms instead of SD70Is, SD75Ms or SD75Is?

keep asking keep learning

#86860  by CN_Hogger

My guess would be that they were the quickest to produce. Seeing that all that I've been on have been pretty plane jane.....

#87067  by Justin B

First off, the SD70I is the same as the SD70M, but with an isolated cab (read: more expensive). SD75M/I would also be more expensive, and when UP was placing the order, the unit availability the 75s had shown with CN and ATSF was less than the SD70s. UP also inherited a good number of them from SP. So in the interest of lowest cost per hp/mile and unit standardization they chose the SD70M.

Please note that this is grossly simplified and from the viewpoint of a layman.

#87141  by AmtrakFan

Well guess they liked the SD70M's.

John

#87223  by crazy_nip

Company Postal Address and Phone

Union Pacific Railroad
1400 Douglas Street
Omaha, NE 68179
UP Main Number: 402-544-5000
UP Operator: 888-870-8777

[email protected]

#87225  by crazy_nip

Justin B wrote:UP also inherited a good number of them from SP..

you consider 25 units a "good number"??

thats all they got from SP

#87531  by emd_SD_60

The same can be said for the DRGW SD50's... a 17 unit order, 7 of which went to SP and finally to UP, you don't see me making a big deal about them... :P
http://espee.railfan.net/drgwsd50.html

#87792  by TerryC

Thanks for the answers.

keep asking keep learning

#88489  by Justin B

25 may seem small in comparison to UPs later 1000 unit order, but 25 locomotives are not chump change. They represented a sizeable investment, especially for a cash strapped SP at the time. They were purchased right before the merger, so one could logically speculate that these might have been some icing on the cake for the UP folks. I would venture to guess that SP would have bought more SD70s had there been more money available.

#88540  by Bryanjones

Justin B wrote:

25 may seem small in comparison to UPs later 1000 unit order, but 25 locomotives are not chump change. They represented a sizeable investment, especially for a cash strapped SP at the time. They were purchased right before the merger, so one could logically speculate that these might have been some icing on the cake for the UP folks. I would venture to guess that SP would have bought more SD70s had there been more money available.
Compared to the quantities of other locomotive models on the SP roster and the total number of locomotives they owned, 25 SD70M's wasn't a "good number". On the other hand, they aquired 101 C44-9W's shortly after the 25 SD70M's. Now in comparison that is a good number. The SP SD70M's were aquired in 1993, so they were not the "icing on the cake" for UP.

Bryan Jones

#88810  by CN_Hogger

Compared to the quantities of other locomotive models on the SP roster and the total number of locomotives they owned, 25 SD70M's wasn't a "good number". On the other hand, they aquired 101 C44-9W's shortly after the 25 SD70M's. Now in comparison that is a good number. The SP SD70M's were aquired in 1993, so they were not the "icing on the cake" for UP.
Not to mention the nearly 300 AC44CW's or 200 GP60's.