Railroad Forums 

• SD26 and SD39 status

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#857586  by KSmitty

Well, that article was obviously written before the sale of the HELM's had been completed. I find it hard to believe they are going to eliminate all non-40 series power. They have 20 SD40-2's and an additional 3(?) still on lease and the 7's, 9's and 35's are still on the roster, several running. I think, hope, that unless another batch of locomotives shows up, atleast a few of the oldies will be kicking for some time.
 #857654  by greenus90

KSmitty wrote:Well, that article was obviously written before the sale of the HELM's had been completed. I find it hard to believe they are going to eliminate all non-40 series power. They have 20 SD40-2's and an additional 3(?) still on lease and the 7's, 9's and 35's are still on the roster, several running. I think, hope, that unless another batch of locomotives shows up, atleast a few of the oldies will be kicking for some time.
Why is that hard to believe? If they can secure ample 645 powered 40 series locomotives cheaply on the used market...
 #857665  by CN9634

The old units that were mentioned as being phased out is completely correct. Granted, PAR faced a power crunch not to recently, but they are going to run these units until they die. Also, they have began to resurrect some of the fallen GP40's.

Latest victim, ST 54.
 #857739  by KSmitty

CN9634 wrote:The old units that were mentioned as being phased out is completely correct. Granted, PAR faced a power crunch not to recently, but they are going to run these units until they die...

...Latest victim, ST 54.
I had noticed that the trend for 2010 was a slightly shorter deadline. And I kinda figured they weren't reactivating some of the oldies. But are you saying they are going to phase them out, or are going to run them until they won't run anylonger? The second option would give some of those GP-9's a good chance at running for a while longer.

Also, when did 54 die, and what happened to it?

And one last question,
Once the 9's and 7's are gone, am I correct in saying that the roster will no longer have a single locomotive from either of the predecessor roads?

Certainly we're approaching the end of an era.
 #857749  by guilfordrailfan

KSmitty wrote:I had noticed that the trend for 2010 was a slightly shorter deadline. And I kinda figured they weren't reactivating some of the oldies. But are you saying they are going to phase them out, or are going to run them until they won't run anylonger? The second option would give some of those GP-9's a good chance at running for a while longer.

Also, when did 54 die, and what happened to it?

And one last question,
Once the 9's and 7's are gone, am I correct in saying that the roster will no longer have a single locomotive from either of the predecessor roads?
Kevin, I don't think anyone can answer your first question for certain. It is a well known fact that PAR wants to have nothing but 40-series locos on its roster (with the exception of the FP7's). When they accomplish that will be determined by many factors including the economy, traffic levels and many others. They will use the old GP9's for as long as they feel the need to or until they die, whichever comes first.

You are correct that the GP7's and GP9's are the LAST pre-Guilford originally MEC or B&M power on the railroad. Everything else was acquired by Guilford or Pan Am.

Chuck, I'd like to know about 54 too. Do you have any more information about it?
 #857843  by MEC407

And once the non-40-series locomotives are gone, that'll be the end of seeing locomotives with ST reporting marks.
 #857885  by KSmitty

guilfordrailfan wrote: You are correct that the GP7's and GP9's are the LAST pre-Guilford originally MEC or B&M power on the railroad. Everything else was acquired by Guilford or Pan Am.
Thanks for confirming Bill. Sure will be odd to not have them on the roster.
 #857888  by thebigham

I'll believe it when I see all the 7s, 9s and 35s off the roster.

You'd think they'd keep a couple around for the branches with light rail.
 #858128  by guilfordrailfan

If I'm not mistaken, the following locomotives have been retired from the Pan Am roster during 2010. I believe they remain stored at Waterville pending disposition.

GP7's 12 & 15 (15 was the last "bought new" ex-MEC loco on the roster)
ALL remaining GP35's except 212 which miraculously is still in service
SD26's 621 & 643 (the last two SD26's in existence)
SD45 681
SD39 690

Recent photos of some of these locos with white lines through their numbers can be found on Nerail photo archive.
 #858329  by calaisbranch

guilfordrailfan wrote:If I'm not mistaken, the following locomotives have been retired from the Pan Am roster during 2010. I believe they remain stored at Waterville pending disposition.

GP7's 12 & 15 (15 was the last "bought new" ex-MEC loco on the roster)
ALL remaining GP35's except 212 which miraculously is still in service
SD26's 621 & 643 (the last two SD26's in existence)
SD45 681
SD39 690

Recent photos of some of these locos with white lines through their numbers can be found on Nerail photo archive.
This past Sunday while in pursuit of an NMWA(NMED's flavor of the week), D1 called the usual SAPPI-3 on the Hinckley Branch around 11a. It was running with two locos, and #212 was trailing on the southbound run. I can remember it pretty clearly, because of the response from whoever was manning the desk. They mumbled 317 and 312......PAUSE......You said 212?! Then he muttered something to the effect of "Good luck with that." Quite comical but cool to hear the '35 was still online! Wish could've got one more crack at the #12.
 #858346  by KSmitty

What happened to the 214? I know it was supposed to come online again with the 212, but failed at Rigby and never recovered.
 #858746  by calaisbranch

Not sure what the final verdict on 214 was, but it had a serious smoking problem in later months. Last time I saw it was the middle of a three unit SAPPI job in November of 2009. Even a year before that on a BA-1, it was smoking like crazy. Always seemed to have an issue with that. Perhaps whatever it was finally caught up to the old '35.