Railroad Forums 

• Scrapped Alcos

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#1237941  by mandealco

That's very sad. I had a cab ride in the 1280 in 1985. Laura & I are hoping to be back in the area next year, and I was wondering if she had escaped the scrapper, so I could take some more photos for modeling purposes.

In a related question, when the c-425m's were delivered, they had a blower (?) bulge on the engineer's side of the long hood. These seem to be absent from recent photos. Anyone know what the bulge was for, and why they were removed?

Cheers
Steve
 #1237984  by thebigham

thebigham wrote:High St crossing of the rail-trail in St Johnsbury:

https://www.google.com/maps?q=St.+Johns ... 0,9.1&z=17" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Remaining Mt. Vernon St bridge abutment:

https://www.google.com/maps?q=St.+Johns ... ,9.24&z=17" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Removed Mt. Vernon St bridge abutment location:

https://www.google.com/maps?q=St.+Johns ... ,4.62&z=17" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Whoops! Wrong thread! Sorry.
 #1238019  by mandealco

Hi
No worries. The subject is scrapped Alcos. The LVRC had a few scrapped that would have past this spot numerous times.
Cheers
Steve
 #1243972  by thebigham

http://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=36121" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hello, my name is George Marsh and my father and I used to own an Alco S3 located in South Boston. This is BRT No 0409. It is with great sadness that I report that the locomotive was illegally cut up by the city. Despite it's looks No 0409 was by no means abandoned. My father and I just have not been able to afford to move it.

We tried to sell it to the Downeast Scenic Railroad but they did not act quickly enough. It is not their fault the locomotive was cut up. The city came in with no warning onto the property and started cutting. The worst part is that the property belongs to Massport NOT the city of Boston. No 0409 was my Dad's pride and joy and our family is truly heartbroken by the loss. I joined this forum specifically to share this news with you guys. I feel that you should know. I hope events like never happen again and I will do what I can to help ensure this.

Thank you, George Marsh

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here it is at Bing Maps:

http://binged.it/1afK859" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1244023  by mandealco

A feel for your loss, and the loss to all Alco fans around the world. That is indeed very sad.

Regards
Steve
New Zealand's biggest Alco Fan.
 #1250656  by Petz

@George; unfortunately i´m not fit in the american laws. Here in Austria the city would be in very big troubles in this case when they cut up the Alco illegally and if we can be sure that Massport never got a removing incitement by the authority.
In this case the city did a juristic called intentional damage at your loco and therefore they had to restore the previous state you had.
This means that the city of Boston had to care for that a technical similar Alco S3 in the same condition and colour will be situated at your place again. How they will do it is their problem and the worst case for them could be that they had to engage a loco builder to produce a new S3 after the old drawings if they would not be able to find a used loco for that purpose.

But even here you had to engage a specialized lawyer to win this justice battle against an authority.
 #1259799  by thebigham

Sandy Burton reports:

"The M&E has started scrapping the M420 #3562 at Morristown. Beginning is a relative term since it has been a parts unit for some time. Should be all gone in a couple of weeks, so I am told."
 #1261119  by therudycometh

CN M420W #3562 is no more.

CP C424 #4231 and Erie Mining RS11 #7205 are in line to be scrapped in the next two weeks, along with Amtrak FL9's #486 and 487.

#1261204  by CREEPING DEATH

therudycometh wrote:CN M420W #3562 is no more.

CP C424 #4231 and Erie Mining RS11 #7205 are in line to be scrapped in the next two weeks, along with Amtrak FL9's #486 and 487.

Y'all bored or what? I thought 7205 was a runner...

CD
 #1262453  by Allen Hazen

In the photo Thebigham linked to (previous post), the in-process-of-scrapping 4231 is shown next to the 19, "one of M&E's two active C424". 4231 is in faded CP colours, whereas 19 is in M&E red. Note also the different number series. Did M&E ever use the 4231, or did they buy it as a parts donor?
 #1262510  by mandealco

Hi
4231 was originally numbered 21 on the M&E when it first went into service at Bayway. Not sure when it was renumbered, but it also did a stint on the old Octoraro in Pennsylvania when the M&E operated that line for a short time. May have been used elsewhere as well.
Cheers
Steve
NZ
 #1280117  by mandealco

Sadly, the Alco/MLW clean out continues on the M&E. Former Erie Mining RS-11 7215, and Former CP Rail C-424 4216 have both been scrapped. For memory, this leaves only the faithful 18 & 19, plus former CPR 4204 on the property. RS-1 # 21 is at the WRM.

To all our friends on the other side of the planet, have a happy 4th of July.
Cheers
Steve
 #1280433  by traingeek8223

The frustrating thing about this situation is that about two years ago, I sent someone looking to pick up a couple of ALCOs to the M&E/RRPX to inquire about the OOS C424s. The response they got was "None are for sale. We are going to fix and use everything we have." Seems like there could have been some sort of market for these even as projects. Oh well. Sad to see the last Northern Pacific RS11 go to the torch (7215).