Railroad Forums 

• Schumer rails against lapses in train safety

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#90221  by Aji-tater

What a bag of wind! The FRA has already come out with strongly recommended changes to double-check switches are restored to normal. And Schumer obviously has no understanding of the railroad industry: some mom-and-pop short lines carry hazardous materials. How does he propose to eliminate manual switches on them? Nobody wants more tragedies but a degree of reason, and understanding the subject at hand, are a good place to start. Neither of which seems to be at work here.

#90241  by Sir Ray

Yeah, Schumer sometimes has very good ideas, but in this case he is way out of his league. In addition to automatic switches everywhere (this alone shows that his aides didn't do any research on the subject for him), he was proposing a 15 year lifespan on hazardous material tank cars.
OK, Chuckie, will the federal government pay full replacement cost? Oh, it won't? Then bye bye...

#90243  by O-6-O

Did you ever see a tragedy or disaster that some politician didn't have
an instant solution for? Turn on the camera and start talking. Easy, nothing to it. Hey Chuck you want to fix a disaster try the New York
State economy. How about some jobs? How about a little less government? Oh never mind. I'll ask Hillary.

STEAM ON
/--OOO-;-oo--oo-

#90252  by Otto Vondrak

Schumer's been all over the industry lately with his "good ideas" that the railroads ought to follow. I'm not sure if he really believes the things he is saying, or if he's just trying to get press to show he's "doing something" about transportation security...

-otto-

#90313  by BR&P

Well, he's not done yet! He's holding a news conference Monday in Pittsford at the Monroe Ave crossing (West Shore). More rail-bashing no doubt! How about some pickets? "YOU'RE ON THE WRONG TRACK, CHUCK" "THE TRAINS ALREADY HAVE HORNS, YOU DON'T HAVE TO BLOW YOURS!"

#90337  by Paul W. Brasky

What RTB didn't say was that Smith Ave. is in Kingston, NY (and sometimes blocked by trains) and pictured along with Schumer was none other than the mayor of our fair city, James Sottile.

#90478  by O-6-O

Monday at Monroe Ave would be a good time for one of those air horn
collectors to "demonstrate" their collections. Since hot air will be the
watch word of the day. Too bad I work for a living or I'd join the "fun".

STEAM ON
/--OOO-;-oo--oo-

#90886  by njmidland

Rail safety? Actually the most dangerous place in the world to be is between Chuckie S. and a news camera.

#90891  by O-6-O

njmidland wrote:Rail safety? Actually the most dangerous place in the world to be is between Chuckie S. and a news camera.
nuff said'

STEAM ON
/--OOO-;-oo--oo-

#90893  by charlie6017

I hope a 60 mph van train covers these dorks with snow!
 #91257  by railtrailbiker

A few days after John Artis was hit and killed by a passing train in October, I returned to the stretch of track parallel to Lawrence Street, along the Clarkstown-Spring Valley border.

It's the stretch where 11 people had died since 1985, the stretch where a fence was finally erected to keep people from taking a shortcut across the tracks from the residential neighborhood to reach the stores along Route 59.
http://www.thejournalnews.com/newsroom/ ... baird.html

#91267  by scottychaos

Chuck wants to run for Mayor,
and he wants to keep his face on the TV news and in the newspapers as much as possible..
thats all this is about.
he is just looking for reasons to stay on TV..
even if that means fining and suing every big company he can think of..

causing layoffs (due to huge fines) and forcing more business out of the state doesnt make your more popular chucky..
you wont be getting my vote..and I dont even know if you are a republican or a democrat! doesnt matter, you wont get my vote either way.
get a clue..we ALL WORK for business! many of us work for the EVIL big businesses! we arent going to appreciate a politician who constantly threatens our jobs..
shouldnt you be trying to PROTECT jobs in New York State?
not trying to drive them away?

Scot

#91311  by Sir Ray

scottychaos wrote:Chuck wants to run for Mayor,
and he wants to keep his face on the TV news and in the newspapers as much as possible..
He's not running for Mayor (of NYC), and I'm pretty sure he's not running for Governor either.
He has no shot at being President (he is after all a Senator, and not much headroom above that to aspire to), so all I can think of is him angling for a high level Cabinet position, or a federal judgeship, if a Democrat wins the Presidency 4 years from now.

#91391  by Ken W2KB

>>>Schumer obviously has no understanding of the railroad industry<<<

He also favors establishment of a no fly zone around New York City, indicating a lack of understanding of the minimal damage that a light plane could do. The average automobile can, let alone a SUV, easily carry much more explosives than a light plane that can't take off with a payload of more than a few hundred pounds. But it sounds good to the uninitiated so he can get some votes that way.