Railroad Forums 

• Scarnton PA - NYC Rail Route????

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#10509  by bwparker1

Arlen Specter and Rick Santorum secured funding for a study of Passenger Rail service between Scranton PA and NYC/NJ I was glancing at my newly acquired SPV Atlas of rail lines in PA (Which is quite impressive) and noticed that the old DLW route East of Scranton appears to be served at Mt. Pocono. How would the proposed passenger service be routed over current tracks, or would that route have to be rebuilt?

Thanks,
Brooks

#10513  by rushhour

No the route is still there. Scranton to Slateford Jct is served by "the" Delware-Lackawanna. They run about 3 trains a week as well. NJT would only have to fix up the track to class one standards, and other things like signals and blah blah blah...

Basically dont wait for this anytime soon. It will probably be another 10 years before this project gets started! The only portion that needs to be built is on the former "Cut-off." Thats the only place where there isnt any track, but that shouldnt be a problem since most if not all of the ROW is clear. If all goes well this will be a good step for the states of NJ and PA. I should also mention the fact that they will not get all the way to Scranton at first. They will probably stop it up to E. Stoudsburg for a while.

Thats my 2 cents :P

Take care

#10960  by krobar

I've heard it could be only 5 years till we see something running. What ticks me off is the "we have to do an environmental impact study" on the route. Oh come on now, it was a railroad and that's what it's going to be! Why waste the money for this study when the land had a previous existing use as a railline. You also have to worry about the NIMBYs that might start in when this gets closer to reality. Now if those of us interested in passenger rail can kick butt with these idiots who are bound and determined to rip up the old Bethlehem branch of the RDG. We could have a line to Philly instead of nothing at this point. Also add service to NYC from the Lehigh Valley area too. First you'd have to get rid of the LANTA people who have a financial steak in the bus companies that serve NY (and Philly too) to get anywhere. For some reason they think that a bus can go anywhere, anytime. Well what happens when the roads are tied up with accidents? They go nowhere, same happens when the weather gets bad. Rail lines aren't subjected to this, unless of course there is a derailment on the line, or the weather gets real extreme.
 #11127  by bwparker1

Rushhour,

Was this track ever taken out of service, the portion between Mt. pocono and East Stroudsburg?? If so, that would explain why it is listed as abandoned in the SPV Track Atlas. When did the DL start offering service on the this portion again?? Was it an agreement with NS??

Thanks,
Brooks

#11677  by 56-57

I remember in 1994 I read that the line could be ready for service in 1997! I just laugh to myself when I read or hear 'bout folks getting excited that the government is (finally) coming thru with the funds. I'm not laughing at any of you, just saying that this 'corridor' has been an on again, off again thing for quite a few years now.

It's good that the Pocono Main was rehabbed, I remember reading that during the Steamtown Grand Opening, 60 mph was the speed on some sections.

Someday, I believe there will be commuter trains running from the poconos to Hoboken, but it'll take some mighty high fuel prices to overcome the status quo.

#11747  by Andyt293

The line between Mount Pocono and East Stroudsburg was taken out of service in 1978 or so. Although a Amtrak chartered passenger train did run over the line in 80 or 81 as part of a study looking into proposed Scranton-NYC service.

Conrail ripped up a couple hundred feet of track near Gravel Place serveral years ago and went so far as to actually erect a chain link fence around the end of track to discourage any idea of using the segment between Mount Pocono and Gravel Place.

This all changed in the mid Nineties when heavy rains caused a trackside pond near Bangor to overflow and inundate a section of the Portland Secondary. This line was used primarily to ship coal to the Met-Ed Generating Plant in Portland. Met-Ed put heavy pressure on Conrail to reopen the route from Scranton (I believe the threat was "if we are going to have to go to all this trouble to truck coal in on a temporary basis, then we might as well look at doing it permanently) and for several weeks the Coal trains rolled over trackage belonging to both Lackawanna and Monroe Counties' Rail Authorities.

Today, the route is open from Scranton to Slateford Jct and trains of the Delaware-Lackawanna operate all the way to Portland servicing local customers.

#11906  by bwparker1

Andy,

This is what I was looking for thanks!

Brooks

#13317  by Tamping Pick

I believe it was a section of "stick rail" and a chain link fence; pics are in a Railpace Mag, (forget which one). Yes it's part of a consideration of restoration of service by NJT. When , who knows???
Boy,did those few coal trains look and sound great going over the Old LV/CNJ(Penobscot)even though in the dark. R&N suppilied the pilots I believe.Pushers on the whole thing from Allentown, lovely.Search the NJT web site for more info on funding.
PICK

#14542  by Tri-State Tom

Andy -

" Conrail ripped up a couple hundred feet of track near Gravel Place serveral years ago and went so far as to actually erect a chain link fence around the end of track to discourage any idea of using the segment between Mount Pocono and Gravel Place "

I believe it was only about 15/18 feet of track....twas the somewhat infamous 'missing link' for several years there at Gravel Place....

#14621  by Andyt293

My heart was so heavy at seeing such a dismal sight and my tears were obscuring my vision. The trauma was so bad that maybe I saw more damage then was actually there. :wink:

In retrospect, Tom and Pick, I believe you're right, but fortunately the track is back.

Now if we could only replace 26 miles or so across Northern New Jersey..........

#14964  by Tamping Pick

ANDY, it will be done!
It has to be, damn 80 is a "cluster" to drive on at sometimes during the day. NJT will do it.Penndot did there part ,more ore less. Got the bridge.
PICK

#35445  by njt4172

NJT target date is 2010 right now.....If that doesn't happen then it will be 2012-2015..... Right now they are completing step 3 which is preliminary engineering....Next year will be step 4, following year step 5, so on and so forth until it is complete.......But all i can say is the Cutoff is NJT top priority outside of Elizabeth Light Rail.......

Steve

#35577  by njt4172

xXwelderXx wrote:And when its done Ill be one of the first people to ride that line again.
You and me both!!! :D
 #62804  by Ken W2KB

Pick wrote: . . . 80 is a "cluster" to drive on at sometimes during the day. NJT will do it.Penndot did there part ,more ore less. Got the bridge.

Any what a nice bridge and scenic view! Here's an arial photo taken by Jeanne and me Saturday, October 23, 2004:

---Ken

#63029  by jrevans

Ken W2KB wrote: Any what a nice bridge and scenic view! Here's an aerial photo taken by Jeanne and me Saturday, October 23, 2004:
Great picture, Ken!

I hope that picture was taken from an airplane, not your speeder. :-D

And I agree that I-80 can be a pain to drive....