Railroad Forums 

• SC-44 Siemens Charger Locomotives

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1455266  by DutchRailnut

Before to much fantasy railroad occures , I would suggest reading this document in the PRII site :
http://www.highspeed-rail.org/Documents ... 1-6-15.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1455292  by mtuandrew

DutchRailnut wrote:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_88
The UK version is able to run either on electrified lines using the pantograph, which is the UK's standard OHLE current at 25kV AC, or away from electrified lines with the Caterpillar C27 950 hp (710 kW) engine.
Aw, that’s cute. :P

If Stadler (former Vossloh) had been able to do final assembly in America, it’s not unlikely that a variant of the above EuroLight would be in service at the MBTA, and likely in competition for the Midwest/California/PNW order.
Last edited by mtuandrew on Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1455355  by DutchRailnut

ApproachMedium wrote:
Invalid. Only works at 20% of the power in electric mode.
Since this whole tread is fantasy of buffs only, just fantasise some more horsies in it.
 #1455363  by ApproachMedium

DutchRailnut wrote:
ApproachMedium wrote:
Since this whole tread is fantasy of buffs only, just fantasise some more horsies in it.
OK let me take my thinking cap off and put my wizzard hat on.
 #1455395  by andrewjw

ApproachMedium wrote:
DutchRailnut wrote:
ApproachMedium wrote:
OK let me take my thinking cap off and put my wizzard hat on.
Don't forget your robe, bloodninja.

Returning to the main topic, does anyone have status updates on the MARC chargers or on any RFPs that Chargers would realististically be candidates for?
 #1455484  by gokeefe

Well that's probably a "first". Electric and diesel power new delivery for two separate agencies on one train.
 #1455504  by DutchRailnut

that delivery was a few weeks back.
 #1455611  by F-line to Dudley via Park

gokeefe wrote:Does Siemens currently build a dual mode AC/Diesel for anyone e? If so what are the specifications?
They bid a Charger-based dual for NYSDOT's Request for Information 4 years ago. The only technical hurdle they cited for making a conventional QSK-95 prime mover coexist with an equally capable DC E-mode within weight limits of the PRIAA specs was the 125 MPH requirement. Siemens said it could comfortably do 110 within weight, but more work was needed before they could achieve 125.

The RFI was of course was before the Charger was an actual shipping product, so they have a much better idea now of their technical tolerances and have had 4 years more R&D on the weight @ 125 issue. Chances are they'll be able to bid it clean at RFP time.

For Bombardier's bid the ALP-45DP sheds some substantial weight replacing AC E-mode with DC, but they're in a hurt on speeds by never achieving their original rating and having to mod those inefficient gensets to make up their performance deficit.
 #1455626  by ApproachMedium

The entire existence of the ALP45 is a turd and will never amount to anything other than NJTs need for overweight, underachieving locomotives to satisfy consumer want of a one seat ride and clean emissions.

Its too bad GE is staying out of the game, but I think that is because even the 12 cyl EVO is a bit overweight esp with TIER 4 components added.
 #1455627  by DutchRailnut

well with GE locomotive division up for sale, it may soon be a subsidiary of chinese company like Fong Deng locomotive works
 #1455628  by Matt Johnson

ApproachMedium wrote:The entire existence of the ALP45 is a turd and will never amount to anything other than NJTs need for overweight, underachieving locomotives to satisfy consumer want of a one seat ride and clean emissions.
I like 'em, and living along the NJ Coast Line, I love seeing 'em finally used as intended to provide some one seat direct Bay Head - NYP runs, but if their weight and resulting high speed tracking characteristics preclude 125 mph operation in electric mode, then they failed to deliver on their full performance spec and probably aren't of much use to Amtrak.
 #1455632  by mtuandrew

The ALP-45DP needs extensive redesign to be produced again, including new Tier IV-compliant gensets. (EDIT: maybe not? I can’t find emissions compliance info for them.)

While it is possible for BBD to bid the contract with an AC/diesel (ALP-47DP?), it’s more likely that they sit the process out and leaves Progress EMD to bid an FL125 to compete with the electro-diesel Charger for the New York/Connecticut/Amtrak orders.
 #1455633  by ApproachMedium

Matt Johnson wrote:
ApproachMedium wrote:The entire existence of the ALP45 is a turd and will never amount to anything other than NJTs need for overweight, underachieving locomotives to satisfy consumer want of a one seat ride and clean emissions.
I like 'em, and living along the NJ Coast Line, I love seeing 'em finally used as intended to provide some one seat direct Bay Head - NYP runs, but if their weight and resulting high speed tracking characteristics preclude 125 mph operation in electric mode, then they failed to deliver on their full performance spec and probably aren't of much use to Amtrak.

You only like them because you dont have to deal with running them, fixing them, or the damage and destruction they do to the tracks after they pound over them. The ALP45 is the E60 all over again when it comes to high speed promises and 90mph realities.

The ALP45 motors are only good for Tier 3. To add a Tier 4 catalyst could probably be done, but with the cost of more weight. The entire thing needs to be started over from scratch. They need to factor in a single prime mover not these two crappy little boat engines that dont last more than 4 years before need of replacement. They also need to redesign the braking and propulsion systems responses because these things are absolute murder on a train in push mode. And if anyone has been on the double ender train with a ALP46 one end and ALP45 on the other, we have nicknamed that one " The Punisher" because thats exactly what it does to you, every time you touch a control on it.