Railroad Forums 

• SC-44 Siemens Charger Locomotives

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1273707  by Backshophoss

The M-11 series of truck engines were not that great,prone to spin crankshaft bearings on a regular basis,
had poor setup of the belt driven componets,breaking grade 8 bolts holding the A/C compressor bracket
and altenator to the block,most mechs refered to it as a 2nd gen "Big Cam IV",basicly hated by all that dealt
with that series of engine. The "power stroke" pick up truck engine was bad news as well. :( :( :(
 #1273771  by electricron

Jeff Smith wrote:Can you clarify what you mean by "DMU"? To my knowledge there are no current manufacturers, just the one rebuilder in CAN.
DMU = Diesel Multiple Unit
EMU = Electric Multiple Unit
Siemens, Stadler, Nippon Sharyo, Bombardier, and Alstom make DMUs. All have compete for business in North America recently. Siemens at North County Transit in San Diego, Stadler with Bay Area Rapid Transit, CapMetro and Denton County Transit, Nippon Sharyo with Sonoma Marin Area Transit and GO Transit in Toronto, Bombardier and Alstom with Ottawa's O Train. Colorado Railcar went out f business, but they had made DMUs for TriMet in Portland, TriRail in Miami, and one for Alaska Railroad.

So, there are plenty of manufacturers of DMUs - and many North American transit agencies using DMUs. Off hand, one would have thought the site administrator at Railroad.net would have known about DMUs. ?? :( ??

Maybe you should go on a rail fan trip and ride every DMU in North America. It'll be a great excuse to get out of the office. ;)
 #1273787  by CHTT1

So what sort of Illinois-built, Indiana-powered DMU is now available? I haven't of any such vehicle being built or even ordered by a U.S. train operator.
 #1273790  by electricron

CHTT1 wrote:So what sort of Illinois-built, Indiana-powered DMU is now available? I haven't of any such vehicle being built or even ordered by a U.S. train operator.
Nippon Sharyo is building FRA compliant DMUs in Rochelle, Illinois for SMART in Northern California and for GO (Union Pearson Express) in Toronto.
Here 's a link to a photo of the first SMART prototype built in Japan - it will be disassembled, shipped to, and reassembled in Illinois.
http://roadwarrior.blogs.pressdemocrat. ... -small.jpg
SMART will operate these DMUs in married pairs, two units placed back to back. GO (UP) will operate these DMUs in triplets, a married pair with a third unit placed in the middle. All the units will have their final assembly in Illinois with sufficient American parts to qualify for the "Built in America" standard.
For more info, check out the SMART and GO threads under the Passenger Rail General forum. There are more passenger trains in America than just Amtrak, believe it or not.
 #1273807  by CHTT1

Ok, I didn't know that. We'll see how these work out in commuter service. I suppose they could be modified for intercity service. The comment came out of theblue in a topic devoted to the Siemens locomotives.
 #1273815  by dowlingm

Electricron has summarised it nicely. Trimet WES just ordered 2 cars to reinforce their Colorado units. Because Sumitomo are involved as well the DMUs can sometimes be referred as such rather than NS. My reference up thread was to the Siemens Desiros (MTU engine) operating on the NCTD SPRINTER service under temporal separation.
 #1273881  by Backshophoss

In reference to the Siemens Desiros on the Sprinter service,recall they had a brake issue along with spare
parts problems.They were OOS for awhile untill a fix was found.
 #1273962  by ARBKAL

CHTT1 wrote:Ok, I didn't know that. We'll see how these work out in commuter service. I suppose they could be modified for intercity service. The comment came out of theblue in a topic devoted to the Siemens locomotives.
Siemens does in fact make a high-speed DMU used in Germany for ICE service. They have a maximum speed of 125 mph.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ICE_TD" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1292311  by Nasadowsk

I'm guessing that 50Hz is the inverter frequency @ 125mph. Interesting, but I guess not a huge surprise being a European unit (effectively).
 #1292479  by gokeefe

Fan Railer wrote:Spec sheet released in conjunction with the All Aboard Florida purchase announcement:
http://preview.thenewsmarket.com/Previe ... 345225.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Alternate link:
http://www.allaboardflorida.com/files/a ... eet-v2.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mark the date.... 47 years ago the ATSF bought their final order of passenger locomotives designated for scheduled service and to operated "for their own account."

Yesterday was a major milestone in the transformation of U.S. passenger rail.
 #1292494  by Fan Railer

Nasadowsk wrote:I'm guessing that 50Hz is the inverter frequency @ 125mph. Interesting, but I guess not a huge surprise being a European unit (effectively).
I would disagree. AC voltages tend to be higher than DC voltages. From what I gather elsewhere, IGBT traction inverter voltages tend to be in the range of 2400V. I would guess the 1080 volt rating @ 50hZ is the rectifier rating. The 50hZ rating itself would be from the main alternator.
 #1292520  by slchub

Anybody who spends 8-10 hours on the P42's will gladly take a new replacement. These units are getting old and tired and have seen better days. Let's hope that the Carrier's will "consult" with the engineers who spend time behind the throttle what their preferences are in regards to a control stand, seats, etc. And let's hope that the next motors will not draw in air from the lavatory as the current P42's do.
 #1292611  by Fan Railer

slchub wrote:Anybody who spends 8-10 hours on the P42's will gladly take a new replacement. These units are getting old and tired and have seen better days. Let's hope that the Carrier's will "consult" with the engineers who spend time behind the throttle what their preferences are in regards to a control stand, seats, etc. And let's hope that the next motors will not draw in air from the lavatory as the current P42's do.
I'm not sure how much variation the cabs will have, but from the spec sheet, it seems that the cab layout will share a common layout to the cab layout that is currently in the ACS-64.