Railroad Forums 

• Sayre LV Station and LV U23B locomotive

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

#52345  by scottychaos

Im sure NS doesnt need my help with this, ;)
and they have probably already thought of this..
but what about TWO fences!

imagine a fence on the station-side..
extending from the NS "office" building, alongside the station, UNDER the Packer ave. bridge, and extending out a ways past the bridge!
then a second fence on the other side of the tracks..the East side..
extending from the former location of the walkbridge, and again under the Packer ave bridge, and extending some distance south of the bridge..

now the NS tracks are fully fenced-in on both sides, and the East-siders would have to climb or cut through TWO sets of fencing!
I bet they wouldnt bother..
the packer ave bridge is right there, and it takes about 10 seconds longer to use the bridge than it does to cross the tracks..
people take these shortcuts just because they are lazy..
if you make it too hard for them, they will just start taking the bridge instead..

might be more work than the problem warrants, but its an idea..
Greg, you would just have to make sure they do it *after* you get the locomotive in place! ;)

or..maybe just one big tough fence on the east side of the tracks would be enough..then keep the "station side" open..would look nicer that way.
and if they only build one fence, it would make much more sense to put it on the East side! NS crews never need to go over to that side, so it wouldnt get in their way like a station-side fence might, and it could nice and long that way..could extend all the way from the big-shops/roundhouse area to south of the Packer ave bridge! block out the east-side completely!
and the west side, along the station, could remain fence-free..

ok! I like that idea MUCH better! ;)
im withdrawing the "two fence" idea! ;)

just some rambling thoughts..
Scot
 #61480  by Lehighrrgreg

The fence idea is a good one. The only problem is the tracks are about the only thing NS owns. The old SC yard that is all grassed in now belongs to a private party and wouldnt allow a fence put up. We own up to the passenger platform which is our responsibility. NS wants to avoid the fences because that prohibits their crews from moving around as well as vehicles that need to move around but cant get to a crossing to mount the hi-rails.

#61819  by scottychaos

Greg,
she is looking beautiful! :-D :P

Scot

#130932  by arnstg

What's happening in Sayre?

I stopped there on May 1 and saw the place where the U23B is to be placed.

The Sayre Society website hasn't been updated since last September. I sent enough $$ to nudge donations off $1700 but no updates have been posted.

I am willing to contribute more but would like to read about any progress being made.

Help!!

#130981  by Lehighrrgreg

Mr Arnst.

Thanks for the message... There has been a lot of recent developments in Sayre. We have a boxcar and our track is still in the process of being installed. Once our rails are in, we will have a spike hammering work bee. Some members of this forum...I know Andy Bohman and others had shown interest in assisting and that is what we will do. Then the boxcar and caboose are being put on the track.

Your contribution was received and we currently sit at $2200 for the U23B Fund. Your contribution was very much appreciated and will go a long way towards our goal. Unfortunatley we have had some technology issues but hope to have the updated graphic in shortly. Thanks again for your interest. I will keep you posted.

Greg Deibler
Trustee/ Dir-RR Operations-Sayre Historical Society

#130997  by scottychaos

Greg, sounds good!
glad to hear things are progressing..

I just updated the webpage with the $2,200 amount:

http://gold.mylargescale.com/scottychao ... -U23B.html

Do you guys (the SHS) have full control of your webpage now?
if you do, we could get rid of that trainweb.org page alltogether.
this one:

http://www.trainweb.org/gggrs/U23B.html

because you now have a page about the locomotive from the sayrehistorical.com webpage, this one:

http://www.sayrehistorical.com/LocomotiveRescue
(you dont need to give people the http:// ..it works without it)

so now *that* page can be the "simple" URL to give to the newspapers and such..just change the "more information" link to point directly to:
http://gold.mylargescale.com/scottychao ... -U23B.html
and that trainweb intro page goes away..
I will just leave it up in case people have it bookmarked, so it will still function, but you could take it out of the chain if you like..would get rid of a step that is no longer needed..
up to you.
Scot

#131008  by ANDY117

Give me a date, and i'll be there!
 #144530  by Lehighrrgreg

The Sayre Historical Society's trackage being installed at the Sayre, LVRR passenger station is coming along at a great pace. Interestingly enough, the track is being built with nothing but 95% LV materials. The rail is 136lb marked LV rail, the ties are hold over LV ties that are still in good shape that were pulled from the Sayre Yards last year, the tie plates and spikes are all 100% LV materials, the joint bars are LV marked. The only non LV material is the ballast and the rail bolts.
Just check out the progress at http://www.sayrehistorical.com
Click the banner at the top that reads "Watch our track get built"

-Greg

#198304  by ANDY117

Any updates?
 #200316  by mbtampa

....pictures of "LV tracks" being constructed..instead of being pulled up.

Congratulations to all involved in this restoration.
 #224236  by Lehighrrgreg

Hello all,

I would like to give an update on the U23B and station project in Sayre. The Heating, Ventilating and Air Conditioning System is almost finished. The duct work is being installed in the basement and small inconspicuous cuts for vents have been inserted into the floor. When we opened up the floor for the vents, you could see layers of the years going down to the original pine planking. On top of them were the old rubber tiles, then wood, then PC Green tiles and then the faux wood laminate that is currently the surface from when the furniture store was in there. Once the whole system is in place, each room will have its own temperature regulator and humidity control. Artifact storage will have its own separate controls versus public areas.
The master interior plan will be solidified once everything is set with the HVAC unit. The board will meet with the chief architect and consultants from the Pennsylvania Historic Museum Commission to come up with a use and design plan for the whole building as well as using artifacts that we own to come up with a decent and usable space.
Grand opening on this is still a little ways off, but thankfully….the light at the end of the tunnel is becoming more and more apparent. Lets just hope this light wont be yet another oncoming train (asbestos abatement, lead.,etc….other former traps)

Regarding the U23B project, that is still on track. Our display track outside is just about complete. I got an old LV switch stand installed for interactive purposes and there is communication tube underneath the track going from the building to the mid point of the segment of track for a semaphore signal to be installed later on.

The locomotive itself is not quite ready to move up to Sayre so I expect a little more time on that. As soon as I get concrete data on when this will be, I will certainly make that public. In the mean time, I am getting all the other preparations and hurdles settled so the move can be as flawless as possible; crane planning, strategic placements for the cranes, etc. I’ve been working with NS and RBMN about rates and their requirements, etc. and I am trying to work the arrangement out so that the move can be done during the daylight. As most of you know it’s going to go from Pittston to Mehoopany on the RBMN. NS will interchange there as we normally do, and it will go to Sayre and be set off.
As far as financial contributions, we have received $2400 total for the project to date. This is fairly good and understandable for this type of project. Once the engine moves in, I expect the interest to rekindle and will make another donation suggestion once we see what exactly the concrete final costs will be. I appreciate the patience from everyone in the project. It’s a lot of work and when its all said and done, the whole area should look really great. If anyone wants to email me with questions etc. on going…[email protected] . Make sure the subject line is specific and not “hey” or generic subject headings.

CC post to Lehigh Valley forum on Railfan.Net

Thanks,
Greg Deibler
Sayre Historical Society

#224370  by arnstg

Thanks Greg for the update. Have been looking forward to this kind of update.

Jerry

#224435  by sallenparks

I got a good Question I think. Will the U23 be stored somewhere near by so one could get pics before she gets fenced in. Just wondering.

#224440  by scottychaos

Thanks for the update Greg! :P
things are looking good!
sallenparks wrote:I got a good Question I think. Will the U23 be stored somewhere near by so one could get pics before she gets fenced in. Just wondering.
fenced in?
the locomotive will be displayed right alongside the Sayre station..
it will be very accessible.

It will be placed on this trackage:

http://community.webshots.com/album/359240647GRMZdJ

Scot