Railroad Forums 

• Saugus Branch

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#20117  by bigbronco85

In case anyone was wondering about the construction along the ROW that is for a new water main to service the Overlook Ridge project inside the former Rowe Quarry. It isn't bike path construction. However it made for a nice bike ride though, nice smooth dirt where they covered up the pipe :D

later

#20789  by efin98

With a water main that kills any future possibilities of rail on the right of way. Oh well, a dream for some killed.
I have one question though, is the water main in the only logical place possible or was it just chosen for "convenience"? If it was the only logical place possible then ok, sometimes the better good wins out over our hopes but if it was for "convenience" it's wrong.

BTW is that the famous truck from the "Abandoned Right of Ways North of Boston" threads as your avatar?

#20850  by CSX Conductor

Ias wondering what they are building at the old quarry site there.

can see a building of some sort from the RTe 60 / rte 1 rotary

#23237  by bigbronco85

Yeah thats what my truck looks like, it's also as seen on Scott's RR archaeology page. LOL

I don't know if it's a water main, it some sort of pipe though. Out of curiosity, why would that preclude train use on the ROW? Contaminants? I don't know if the MBTA would stand for that if they haven't actually abandoned it yet.
They could have put it down Lynn St. or Eastern Ave if they had to. It goes under lynn st until Linden Sq.
They are building a mixed use residential/office space in the quarry.

Later

#23286  by efin98

I would think the depth of it or if it was above ground would be the reason for precluding the T from using the route. It might be too close to the surface so as to cause damage to it from anything bigger than a pickup truck.

I am of the impression that it's an "out of spite" move to put the main on the right of way, sort of a stab at preventing it from ever being used for anything other than something the city wants.

#23780  by bigbronco85

It was about 7 or 8 feet down I think, they had those metal forms to keep the dirt walls from caving in on the guys working.