Railroad Forums 

• Salt Lake City, UT: UTA TRAX

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#1365263  by Arborwayfan

My two kids and I rode Frontrunner up from SLC to Ogden just before Christmas. We live in Indiana but I grew up with rail transit and commuter rail in Boston, and usually when we are visiting relatives in SLC and Ogden we ride Trax and Frontrunner partly for fun. This time there was a serious motive -- we and all our luggage wouldn't fit in the rental car. Frontrunner was as pleasant, timely, comfortable and clean as ever. I am always impressed with the service. Half hourly all day! Convenient bus connections at both ends, too. Of course, the Ogden-Provo corridor is the right shape for rail transportation--long and skinny, with only the relatively small TRAX light-rail territory being wide enough to call for more than one line.

We met two commuters with their bikes in the lower-level bike rack area: they both ride to/from the station at both ends, just what the racks are meant for.
 #1418304  by Backshophoss

There's a news story of a Frontrunner train taking out a pair of Fed-Ex pup trailers at a grade crossing(Clearfield area?) during the
last storm to hit the Salt Lake Metro area.
The "kicker" is for some odd reason,the gates and lights were NOT working at this crossing.
This is shared ROW with the UP mainline from Sale Lake City-Ogden,was UP working on the tracks near that crossing?
http://www.kob.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1418466  by Backshophoss

This is a "remote" possablty,the gates could have "timed out" due to slow train speed,there was a frontrunner
signal dept person at that crossing checking the equipment there.
Beyound the Frontrunner's single main track are the 2 UP mainlines,so both RR's have the abilty to operate the gates.
Frontrunnner's Wood Cross station is close to that crossing.
While the truck driver had stopped and looked both ways,could not see or hear the frontrunner train approaching
due to weather conditions.

This was also shown on the Weather Channel and it's website.