Railroad Forums 

• Salt Lake City, UT: UTA TRAX

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#1002283  by lpetrich

USA Government Allocates USD 116m to Salt Lake City Light Rail Extension
Construction has already started on that line:
Utah Transit Authority - Draper TRAX Line
It should be done by 2013 or 2014.

This extension continues further southward from the original south end of the system, continuing in a former RR ROW. Phase 1, now under construction, will add 3 stations, and Phase 2 may be built later.
 #1011897  by lpetrich

Audit: Rail service expansion funding in question | Deseret News
The Utah Transit Authority may not have enough money to operate the light rail and commuter rail extensions that are currently under construction, according to a legislative audit that examined the agency's finances.

That could leave the agency and local cities with two painful options once the tracks are completed: Cut service or ask area residents for more money to operate the trains.
 #1044556  by lpetrich

Ceremony marks start of construction for streetcar line in Utah | The Salt Lake Tribune
Transportation » Line to open in 2013 will connect Sugar House to South Salt Lake.

Under the warm spring sun Wednesday, a crowd gathered at 2235 Main St. in South Salt Lake to celebrate the beginning of the long anticipated return of streetcars to the Salt Lake Valley. ...

By late 2013, modern streetcars will run along a new two-mile stretch of rail that will connect South Salt Lake’s old warehouse district near the Central Pointe TRAX light rail station to the thriving commercial hub in Sugar House.
Utah Transit Authority -- Sugar House Street Car has a map of the system.
Sugar House Streetcar -- has stuff on Phase 2, possible extensions eastward or northward, and also on its "greenway" route landscaping.

The line goes in a former railroad right-of-way from the Central Pointe TRAX station east to McClelland St. (1040 E). That may explain why it will be built relatively quickly by the standards of US urban-rail projects.

Elsewhere in the TRAX system:

Airport Line: Construction is entering its final stages, with the overhead wire in place over parts of it, and with the connection to the existing line to be built soon. The line to Salt Lake Central Station will be cut back to Arena station during the construction, from May 5 to May 23. Still no opening date, though its builders are still expecting 2013.

Draper Line: Construction about 50% done. They are still expecting 2014 and perhaps 2013. Its builders will build it further southward if they get funding for doing so.
 #1117936  by lpetrich

FrontRunner South opens, brings changes to north line | ksl.com
FrontRunner now runs to Provo about 45 mi south of Salt Lake City, in addition to Ogden, about 45 mi north of that city.

However, the north-line off-peak interval got doubled from 30 min to 1 hr.

Checking on the Airport Line and the Draper Line, construction is now in its final stages, and test trains are being run on the Airport Line, and will run on the Draper Line starting January. The Draper Line's Nov 5-12 construction update gives these opening dates:

Airport Line: April 14, 2013
Draper Line: August 2013
Sugar House Streetcar: December 2013

Seems that most of Frontlines 2015 rail-transit construction will be done 2 years in advance -- all but the second phase of the Draper Line.
 #1191406  by Woodcrest295

I just recently got out to Utah and and made a point to ride the whole UTA Trax/frontrunner system and i was very impressed. Countdown clocks at all stations, 4 car light rail trains, wifi and outlets on the Frontrunner. Gotta love those tables for laptops. Great way to make the rail system ADA with the push button ramp. But i had a few questions.

1. Whats with the awful rail map? Are they plan on revamping it with Draper extension and street car opening?
2. Why is there no station in central Lehi? Dont give me they could drive way far north to the p&r or stations are too close together bs.
3. Why is there no station between Woods Cross and Farmington around Centerville. Dido . The tracks are doubled there and seem to wait for trains to pass, plus developers have built a movie theater and condo complex right next to the tracks. Perfect station stop
4. Why does the Green line go between West valley and the airport and the red between South Jordan and the University? It seems obvious to switch it to West Valley to University and South Jordan to airport. ---> West to east and north to south instead of West to west and south to west missing dowtown.
5. Is UTA slowly getting rid of the old high level light rail and single level commuter rail cars?
6. Are the all the rail stations alittle sparse considering all the snow and cold weather Utah gets?
7. Is UTA exploring the idea of extending the West Valley line farther west considering the South Jordan line is much longer and with the draper extension making the Sandy line really long?
8. Did UTA ever consider building the Blue line down State street or further west because that would be a better right of way from a TOD, existing density, and access standpoint? Or was it do it cheaply in the old railroad right of way thats it.
9. why doesnt the frontrunner use Ogden Union Station?
10.Why did Salt lake City allow both great stations downtown lose their tracks? The current central station is little more than a plaza.

Any info with regards to these questions would be really helpful
 #1207935  by lpetrich

Draper TRAX extension embarks this weekend | Deseret News - last Friday
Draper TRAX line opens along with other changes for UTA - ABC4.com - Salt Lake City, Utah News - last Monday
UTA opens Draper Line, wraps up FrontLines 2015 program ahead of schedule | Railway Track & Structures - last Monday

From Deseret News:
The Utah Transit Authority’s Blue Line will welcome the 3.8-mile Draper TRAX extension.

The Draper TRAX line will mark the completion of the FrontLines 2015 project, which adds more than 70 miles of new rail lines to the UTA system and was completed two years ahead of schedule and $300 million under budget, according to the agency.
Strictly speaking, this is the first phase of the Draper extension. The second phase would go a similar length beyond the current end at Pioneer Rd. to stations at Highland Dr. and 14600 S.

The Sugar House Streetcar is still scheduled to open on December of this year.
 #1225560  by lpetrich

UTA Streetcar - S Line, the Sugar House Streetcar
They have set a date: December 4

Sugar House Streetcar: Phase 2 is still in planning, though they have selected a Locally Preferred Alternative.

The route under construction goes eastward from Central Pointe TRAX station to McClelland St. in an abandoned railroad right-of-way. The LPA continues eastward to Highland Dr., then northward in that street to 1700 S St.
 #1263364  by Gilbert B Norman

From Marriott Downtown at City Creek Salt Lake City--

Within the past half hour, I have returned from making a round trip 'joyride' SLC - Provo on the Frontrunner South.

Just as I was with my Frontrunner North made during April 2010, am I ever impressed, and, I'm sorry, but Frontrunner makes any other rail transit system with which I've had experience 'look like out of the Dark Ages'.

The equipment simply looks immaculate in its R W & B livery; so far, although I must wonder for how long, the trains have escaped the fate of UTA busses and TRAX light rail of having shrink wrap advertising around the vehicles.

The dedicated UTA track is just that; nowhere is UP/D&RGW track used; in fact the Train Host (Conductor) said she was not UP Rules Qualified. However, on Sundays, like much of this region regarding anything, there is no service, and UP will make use of UTA tracks - up Train & Engine must be 'RQ' on the UTA property.

I was riding in the Lower Level of the Bombardier bi-level; the ride was exceptionally smooth and it appears max speed is 79 (I really did not wish to bother the Conductrix with a bunch of railfan chatter). At Provo, MP S-44.3 (miles are S or N of SLC). I never alighted the train at Provo. Just think, at Provo they swept out the train and touched up the interior windows after its 80 mile journey from Ogden.

All told, on my Senior one day pass, I could have ridden the entire UTA system - mode notwithstanding, but I just wanted to retreat here to the hotel, have a Chardonnay at the bar (sure couldn't do THAT 'back in my 68-69 day' around these parts). I still am backlogged with newspapers to read. Tonight is the Utah Symphony (this hotel is catty corner to the Orchestra's venue).

I'll be starting home (auto) after the Mormon Tabernacle broadcast tomorrow.

A final thought, like a lot of other regions, Denver still 'talks the talk' with (real) rail transit, but SLC has 'walked the walk'.
 #1263612  by amtrakowitz

Gilbert B Norman wrote:From Marriott Downtown at City Creek Salt Lake City--

Within the past half hour, I have returned from making a round trip 'joyride' SLC - Provo on the Frontrunner South.

Just as I was with my Frontrunner North made during April 2010, am I ever impressed, and, I'm sorry, but Frontrunner makes any other rail transit system with which I've had experience 'look like out of the Dark Ages'.

The equipment simply looks immaculate in its R W & B livery; so far, although I must wonder for how long, the trains have escaped the fate of UTA busses and TRAX light rail of having shrink wrap advertising around the vehicles.

The dedicated UTA track is just that; nowhere is UP/D&RGW track used; in fact the Train Host (Conductor) said she was not UP Rules Qualified. However, on Sundays, like much of this region regarding anything, there is no service, and UP will make use of UTA tracks - up Train & Engine must be 'RQ' on the UTA property.

I was riding in the Lower Level of the Bombardier bi-level; the ride was exceptionally smooth and it appears max speed is 79 (I really did not wish to bother the Conductrix with a bunch of railfan chatter). At Provo, MP S-44.3 (miles are S or N of SLC). I never alighted the train at Provo. Just think, at Provo they swept out the train and touched up the interior windows after its 80 mile journey from Ogden.

All told, on my Senior one day pass, I could have ridden the entire UTA system - mode notwithstanding, but I just wanted to retreat here to the hotel, have a Chardonnay at the bar (sure couldn't do THAT 'back in my 68-69 day' around these parts). I still am backlogged with newspapers to read. Tonight is the Utah Symphony (this hotel is catty corner to the Orchestra's venue).

I'll be starting home (auto) after the Mormon Tabernacle broadcast tomorrow.

A final thought, like a lot of other regions, Denver still 'talks the talk' with (real) rail transit, but SLC has 'walked the walk'.
Apparently Frontrunner uses UP track between Ogden and Pleasant View, although this is a limited service and the station itself has a separate siding track. So not all crews are qualified on the Pleasant View service?
 #1268406  by Gilbert B Norman

Likely the case, Mr. Amtrakowitz.

With only four Weekday trains operating North of Ogden (none Saturday; the day I rode), very few UTA employees are needed to handle Ogden-Pleasant View.

My guess is UTA has only qualified enough Train & Engine employees to protect that service; after all, it is pretty safe assumption that UP is charging 'tuition' for UTA employees attending their Rules classes. Since I did not ask this young girl, attending Utah State 'on the side', 'are any UTA operating employees UP Rules Qualified?' Likely I was answered truthfully when she stated she was not.
 #1304652  by Backshophoss

The Frontrunner crews use the current version of GCOR on their own rails,their signals seem to be based
on MNR signals(aka"go/no go" type) with cab signals,with the "joint" operation to/from Pleasent View on UP rails,
UP's "take" on GCOR and signals need to be followed.
UP crews running on Frontrunner track follow their rules and Frontrunner signals,unknown if UP's CCS system
interfaces with Frontrunner's cab signals.