Railroad Forums 

• Salt Lake City, UT: UTA TRAX

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#814678  by atsf sp

Can anyone provide a roster of the equipment including numbers and types. I know SD100 and SD160s are used along with UTCD cars but what are their numbers?
 #828282  by atsf sp

On the 25th of June I was just west of Salt Lake City and on a Eastbound UP freight I saw 3 UTA S70 Avantos coming in. They were under wraps though so i did not get the numbers. Would anyone be able to tell me the numbers of these cars.
Pic: http://jwdp.rrpicturearchives.net/showP ... id=2137218
Also I saw two I believe UTCD cars at the UTA frontrunner shops. Which cars were these?
 #842705  by electricron

Those are the new Siemens S70 light rail vehicles in the photo. They can be identified under the blue plastic covering by the two articulation points on either side of the center wheels, or truck...
 #863415  by ljeppson

In answer to the previous post, Bombardiers have replaced the comet cars in almost all consists. Thus each consist has a loco and 3 bombardiers.
 #895777  by WelshPete

Hi all

Visiting from UK in March and a couple of questions regarding Frontrunner.

(1) Train service....

Timetable for SLC to Ogden and Ogden to Plesant View is shown as two parts on the website. (services 750 and 749) Is the 516pm Ogden to Plesant View a continuation of the 427pm from SLC, likewise the 616pm Ogden to Plesant View a continuation of the 516pm from SLC?

(2) Loco Roster....

Can anybody confirm which loco numbers are operating. I believe the locos are numbered 1 to 21 but 13 and 14 are now with MBTA in Boston?

(3) Equipment cycles...

As I'll be trying to ride as many locos as possible does anyone know the equipment cycles used by Frontrunner?

Many thanks
Pete. Wales, UK
 #920660  by lpetrich

I checked UTA's Frontlines 2015 page:

Airport Line (westward branch at Arena): construction continues. Should open in 2013

West Valley Line (southwestward branch at Central Pointe): construction nearing completion. Should open Aug 7 this year. Trains will go from there to the University line.

Mid-Jordan Line (southwestward branch at Fashion Place West): construction nearing completion. Should open this year or the next. Trains will go from there to the Arena station. When the Airport Line opens, will the trains continue into it?

Draper Line (southward extension from Sandy) : construction in initial phases. Rail and ties from the old RR line now gone, utilities now being relocated. Possible completion date: 2015. This extension may eventually be continued further in that old rail line.

Sugar House Streetcar (eastward from Central Pointe): still in planning.

Frontrunner South: construction continues. It should open by 2015. It will have its own track, east of the existing UP track north of Sandy, then over that track on a flyover bridge, then west of that track south of Sandy. That flyover bridge is essentially done.
 #957461  by lpetrich

Mid-Jordan and West Valley Lines to Open August 7
The new Mid-Jordan and West Valley TRAX lines open on August 7, but we’re celebrating early. Come ride the new TRAX lines on Aug. 3, before regular service starts.
Trains will be running all day on the new lines.

The routing when service officially starts will be:
Blue Line: Salt Lake Central Station - existing lines - Sandy Civic Center
Red Line: University Medical Center - existing lines - Fashion Place West - Mid-Jordan Line - Daybreak Pkwy
Green Line: Salt Lake Central Station - existing lines - Central Pointe - West Valley Line - West Valley Central Station

The under-construction lines are pretty much as in my previous post here, though UTA is now targeting opening the Draper Line in 2014.
 #958581  by ljeppson

Right, the Mid Jordan and West Valley lines wil open this coming Sunday - Aug 7. I will attempt to ride both and shoot some pics on the first day. This will greatly add to the utility of the TRAX network.