Railroad Forums 

• Salisbury Quarry spur near Toledo

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#787924  by RailMike

I was looking at some historic topo maps, and I notice that there used to be a spur that served a quarry west of Toledo.

It appears that a spur branched off the NYC spur and went due south to serve Salisbury Quarry. This spur parallels Albon Rd., and is a couple of miles east of where the airport is now. I'm not sure when this branch went out of service, and very little of the right-of-way is discernible today, but there appears to still be an Ohio Turnpike underpass present according to Google Maps.

Salisbury Quarry was being used as a recreational swimming/beach area in the mid-70s. There is now a housing development around the lake.

These historic maps may be found here: http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/topo/250k/. They mark double tracks in some places, and even show some early abandoned lines.