Railroad Forums 

• Salem Action Alert

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#646395  by Dick H

The loco should have one of those temperature controlled drain valves that dump the water once the temperature falls below a certain temperature. Perhaps the engine shut down by itself and has already dumped the water, so they will have to send another loco to take it to Boston or Lowell, where they should be able to get water for it and get it running.

Dick
 #646500  by csrrfan86

LA-2 with #381 ran to Eastman last night and canned. Engine is idling at Allens Lane with 6 loads for Eastman. Nothing has been switched out yet. Should be 7 empties out on the spur. No sign of a crew at 0900 this morning. Will be great to see 2 engines and about 13 empties on the return trip to Lawrence!
 #646706  by atsf sp

Dick H wrote:The loco should have one of those temperature controlled drain valves that dump the water once the temperature falls below a certain temperature. Perhaps the engine shut down by itself and has already dumped the water, so they will have to send another loco to take it to Boston or Lowell, where they should be able to get water for it and get it running.
So did 332 dump the water and was dead?
 #646717  by csrrfan86

#332 was dead and I assume the water was dumped. It was moved from the far track to the middle track probably when #381 came in Sunday.
 #649623  by csrrfan86

#328 with 2 empties canned at Allens Lane as of 1900 Friday evening. No clue when they will run back.
 #649705  by csrrfan86

LA-1/2 Left sometime this morning. Dropped off a tanker at Univar in the old Castle Hill yard on their return trip. Guessing they will be picking up empty scrap cars in Somerville.

-Wayne J.
 #651572  by csrrfan86

LA-2 #328 came in Wednesday evening with 6 loads. Out Thursday morning with 6 empties.
 #652005  by highrail

I was trying to understand the work route for the job that services Eastman gelatine that causes it to go out of service at this end of the route so often. Given the designation of the job as LA-1 or 2 I assume that it originates in Lawrence and works its way into Boston and then up to Salem/Peabody. I would also guess that it services all customers along that route, so depending upon the loads, thus the timing issue. Wouldn't it be easier, and less costly, to begin the route in Peabody/Salem and work back toward lawrence, thus avoiding the re-crew expense and the expense of a cab for the transport of the crew? I could see them leaving some amount of their cars in Boston while they are up in the salem area to save the fuel cost of hauling extra cars.

It is amazing how little freight there is in this area compared to just a few years ago. Now if we could only get a couple new customers at the Peabody industrial park so they would reactivate the line...
 #652061  by jaymac

For one principal reason, typing as someone who can only guess at the PAR decision-making process, I can think why they would want to keep things inefficient and costly on branches: getting a favorable exemption decision from STB on as many branches as possible. Fewer branch customers reduce power, fuel, crew, and maintenance requirements. Check the thread on the Watertown Branch.
By demonstrating a high cost of service, PAR or any other line, for that matter, can build a case for exemption. One e long-term consideration is the increasing number of 286K cars. Track that was originally built for 220K or even less and is already 10 MPH would have to be rebuilt from roadbed up to deal with the extra stresses of heavier loads. The number of 263K cars will decrease in the future, making branch lines even more desirable candidates for embargoing and exemption applications.
As background for the above, a few years back, Trains magazine had an article that mentioned statisitician W. Edwards Deming, generally credited as the formulator of Total Quality Management and the person who helped turn the phrase "Made in Japan" into a positive instead of a negative. While at the University of Iowa, Deming was commisioned by a midwest railroad to prove that passenger trains were money-losers. This was before Interstates and passenger jets, but Deming came up with research that proved his customer's case.
Even with 2-man crews, lines make their real money with bridge traffic, not local, especially not branch local traffic, unless it is high-volume.
 #652065  by highrail

jaymac,
Interesting thoughts...took me in a different direction that I had not considered. Thanks
 #652399  by csrrfan86

373 brought 3 loads to Eastman this afternoon. Crossed Peabody Sq. at 1345 and left Eastman at 1500. Received permission to back to Northery Point at 1545 and headed for Somerville. They will go to Medford to retreive the reefer thats been there since last November if time permits!
 #652401  by GP40MC1118

They left Boston and arrived Salem with six cars.

This train came out of Lawrence last night as a LA-X. Went to Everett with 6 cars
around 2AM and back out with 8 empties. Put up in Somerville. New crew took
over today and is coming into Somerville at 425PM with 6 cars.